Chapter 28

Leo

Looking around the small cell. This is not where I wanted to be but if it saved Harriet's life then I would do whatever it took. I feel the darkness that usually sits in the back of my mind taking over. I fight to keep an image of Harriet in my mind but the screams of my past block everything else out. My magic was still on a high from the fight and I was struggling to gain control. The door opens and I see the Carrow twins walk in. They sneer at me before motioning me to follow. I keep my mask in place as I walk. When I walk into another room, I smirk at the dumbass who took my wand. He lays dead on the ground with my wand not far away from him.

"You seem to have an interesting wand." I hear Voldemort say behind me. I keep myself from tensing as I stare straight ahead. "Do you not speak?"

"I didn't think you asked a question." I say still not turning around.

"You seem far less scared than most." He comments coming to stand in front of me.

"My lord, the girl was unable to be reached." A man says coming into the room. This is one of the few times I was thankful for my past training.

"Oh, I think she will be willing to come to us." He says smiling.

"I do look forward to using her." One of the twins laughs.

"You are going to be down a member." I say and Voldemort raises a brow.

"Do you truly believe you can do much without a wand?"

"Care to find out?" I ask smirking. While I never wanted to be this person again, I couldn't deny the rush. I was in my domain, there are no innocents in the room. He motions for me to go ahead, and I allow the darkness to consume me. It feels like I am watching myself outside my body. I flip around and use my momentum to slam my fist into the male twin's throat. His eyes go wide as he grabs his throat, dropping to his knees. His sister screeches, but a quick kick to the temple leaves her incapacitated.

"Talented." Voldemort says waving his wand, fixing the damage before he can suffocate to death. He jumps up but before he can attack me, he is called to halt. I turn my back on them and look at Voldemort. "Seems you hold back."

"Never underestimate a Black." I shrug.

"Ah but you are so much more, aren't you?" He smirks. I say nothing as I hold his gaze. I know my eyes are still red. "You know who you are, don't you?"

"I know who I am." I say simply.

"I had feared I had lost you. Come, take your rightful place. I will even spare your little toy, given she is willing to bow to me."

"I will never bow to you or any man." I say allowing my magic to flare. I was not a simple follower anymore.

"You will change your mind." He says dismissively. "If you choose to continue to stand against me, I will personally deal with your little pet. I do not wish to lose something so powerful, but I will not allow her to stand against me."

"Good luck." I taunt. It was not a good idea to push him, but I would not bow. I had done my bowing and it got me nowhere. The crucio has me dropping to my knees but I refuse to scream. He would get no satisfaction from torturing me.

"Maybe some time in the dungeons will have you reconsidering." He says once the curse is removed. The Carrow twins drag me out of the room and slam me into one of the cells. I lay on the floor and close my eyes.

Fate, I don't care what happens to me, but please protect Harriet. I plead before allowing sleep to claim me.

Harriet

I lay the Hallows down and pour my magic into it, begging Death to answer.

"Chosen one, I figured you would call." Death says as I am surrounded by shadows.

"Please, I can't lose him."

"This is needed. He needs to be there for the chance to destroy the horcrux." Fuck, I hadn't thought about that, but it shouldn't fall on him. This wasn't worth it.

"Please don't punish him for what he has to do." I beg. I would allow the world to burn if his soul was taken.

"He must kill an innocent for no reason other than violence for him to break our deal." He says and I sigh in relief. "Keep my gifts on you, my chosen. The end draws near."

The shadows fade and I am left standing there. I head out of the room and call the adults. I knew everyone worried about what would happen to him.

After I explain what Death told me I know they aren't happy but at least he won't be punished for doing what he has to. I am offered to stay home but I know that is a bad idea. If I stayed here, I would be tempted to go find him myself.

~

It has been three days since he was taken. I was now back at Hogwarts, but nothing feels right. My friends try to keep me distracted but nothing works. I need to find him, and the longer I waited the colder the trail became.

After a week I am starting to lose hope. Many after this time were found dead. I wanted to trust the gods wouldn't take him from me, but I couldn't even imagine the plan they had. It made it worse that Luna was getting nothing. She said the wrackspurts were unusually quiet.

Two weeks and I am done. This world didn't feel worth saving without him in it.

Three weeks and I am called into the headmaster's office. Madam Bones and the minister try to explain that while they had yet to discover a body the likelihood of him alive was little to none. They had done everything they could to find him, but every lead had gone cold.

"No, the tapestry would show if he had passed." I tell them.

"Ms. Potter, I understand but we can't keep using so many resources to find him." Madam Bones says.

"Then I have a request. Give me permission to continue to search. I have sat here and allowed everyone else to look but I can't keep sitting around while he is gone. I have the talent and ability to be out in the field."

"Ms. Potter you are already high risk." The minister says.

"Then who better to draw him out. Please minister, I am asking you to not just let me help find him but to help end this war. Everyone knows he wants me, let me draw him out and end this for good."

"While talented, you are not an auror. Doing something like that would put you in grave danger." Madam Bones points out.

"I am of age, but if you would like I can have my family support this decision."

"Madam Bones, we are in a situation where we are beginning to lose this war. I think if Ms. Potter has the support of Lord Black than she should be willing to try." The minister says and I smile.

"Ms. Potter while I could deputize you, I will still highly suggest you reconsider." Madam Bones says sighing.

"I want to do this. I have helped behind the scenes. I believe it is time to prove I am willing to stand on the front lines." I say and she nods. It was time to take the war into my own hands.