chptr 28

a/n: i dont really know anything about sydney. just assume this is accurate. this is an alternate universe, so don't get mad if i get smth wrong. peace aussies

Calum knew Leia was exploring that day, since she was sending him all kinds of pictures. But when he saw her sitting on a park bench, feeding pigeons with bread crumbs, it was all a big coincidence that he happened to be there, too.

Maybe fate was real, and the universe knew that bringing them together was the right thing to do.

Gathering all his courage, he slowly walked up to her. She was watching the birds peck at the crumbs near her feet with a bright, delighted expression. Calum felt intimidated. How could someone be so...luminous?

"We're not supposed to feed them, y'know," he said. Leia looked up, obviously surprised. But her eyes softened and she broke out into a grin. She recognizes me, Calum thought. He didn't know if that was a good thing.

"Why not?" she asked him.

Calum shrugged and pointed to a nearby sign that reads do not feed the pigeons. "Because that sign says so."

She gave a challenging smirk. "So, by that logic, if there was a sign that says 'jump off a bridge', you would do it?"

Calum was rendered speechless. He was terrible at this. He was too intimidated by her to even think of a reply.

She laughed kindly and motioned for him to sit beside her. "I'm just kidding, I'm sorry," she told him. Calum's heart still raced. She extended her hand towards him and smiled brightly. "I'm Leia, by the way. I think we met the other day."

Calum couldn't help but groan out loud. "Ah, I was hoping you wouldn't remember that. I'm normally very steady on my feet."

"I'm sure you are, uh-"

"Calum," he finished for her.

"Calum." Her lips formed a pretty smile, as if his name tasted sweet. "Nice to meet you, Calum."

He smiled at her and murmured "Same," but inside fire alarms were ringing in his head. He had been dreaming about the moment she'd say his name and now it was all coming true and he didn't know how to handle the giddiness building in his chest. He felt like there was a big universal click in the puzzle piece of his life-and right then, he was complete. Suddenly he had more confidence than he did before. Clearing his throat, he asked, "Can I ask what you're doing here all alone?"

"Oh, exploring," she says airily, gesturing around vaguely. "I just moved here, you see."

Calum tried to act surprised. "Oh, wow. Where from?" Ha. What a lie.

"Melbourne," she told him. "Starting a new life and all."

"That's great," he says, a bit too enthusiastic. She didn't seem to notice, though. He shook his head and stood up, offering his arm to her. "Well, let's go."

"What? Where?"

"I'm gonna give you a proper tour," he replied. In his best tour-guide voice, he exclaimed, "Welcome to Sydney!"

That made Leia laugh, but she still didn't get up. "And why should I trust a complete stranger to give me a tour of an unknown city?"

But you're not a complete stranger to me, he thought. But he tilted his head and paused before saying, "Well, my name's Calum Hood, I'm eighteen, and I've lived here my whole life. I like soccer, puppies, music, and Vegemite." He stopped to think. "Yep, basically it. Am I still a stranger?"

This got an approving smile from Leia, who took his arm and stood up. "Well played, Mr. Calum Hood. Fine. I accept your offer."

Calum smiled triumphantly. Then, true to his word, he began to tour her around the magnificent city of Sydney.

Just because she asked, Calum took her to see The Big Banana and the Sydney Opera House. She was amazed to see them, but not in a tourist type of way. They talked and joked in between bus rides and walking to places. The sun was scorching by afternoon, so they opted for more quaint stores and cafes.

Leia looked like she was enjoying herself, which made Calum very very happy. At one point, they came across an ice cream truck. "Let me buy you ice cream. As payment," he added, referring to the day they met. She refused, but he was adamant. "It would make me feel a whole lot better."

"Fine," she said, but she was smiling. She ordered vanilla, while Calum ordered chocolate. They found a small cafe and ordered some coffee to rest.

"I had a great time, Calum. Thank you," she said softly. Her eyes were sincerely grateful. Calum still had an odd sense of surreality. He couldn't believe he spent a whole day with the girl he'd only known through his phone. And now she was thanking him for being kind enough to tour her around, even when he was a stranger.

But was he a stranger?

He wanted to tell her. It wouldn't be easy, but he knew how. Leia, I have something I have to confess. Five months ago, you sent me a text, not knowing you had the wrong number...

He imagined her confusion, repulsion. He imagined her leaving once he told her the truth.

So all he said was, "You're welcome."