chptr 31

Calum was moping in front of Luke the day after they went to that party where he met Leia again. He laid his head on the dinner table and sighed unhappily. "I'm so stupid."

"And I'm incredibly handsome," Luke replied, taking a bite from the piece of chicken they were having for dinner.

Calum looked up to stare at his best friend. "What?"

"Oh." He feigned confusion. "I thought we were stating facts?"

Calum almost stabbed Luke in the eye with a butterknife, but he was too exhausted to murder him right now. Maybe later. "She gave me her number," he said in a defeated voice.

"Then why are you sad? That's great," Luke told him confidently. He patted his best friend's head fondly. "Cheer up, buttercup."

Calum groaned. "Yeah, but how am I gonna text her? Obviously I can't use my phone. So it's pretty useless." He muttered something about saving up for a disposable phone.

This time, Luke's gentle pats turned into a slap on his head. "You are stupid," he commented. "This is what you're worried about? Dude."

"What? What do you mean?" he asked, perking up. Luke was always the brighter one in their friendship.

"Then just tell her your phone needs fixing or something and use my phone for a while," Luke replied, rolling his eyes like it was the most obvious thing in the world. He resumed eating dinner without waiting for Calum's reply.

Calum, however, sprang back to life. "You'd let me do that?"

The blonde boy shrugged. "You're my best friend. Duh." He took his phone from his front pocket and promptly offered it to Calum.

"I actually love you, Luke," Calum said gratefully, taking the phone and sliding it open, ready to send his first message to Leia. Fuck the three day rule- if you like a girl, then fucking show it.

Luke shrugged indifferently, but there was a small smile on his face. "Well, I have a girlfriend. But thanks anyways."

Calum ran to his room to look for Leia's number, which he had written on a piece of paper before crashing that night, just in case he forgot about it after he showers in the morning. He punched the numbers eagerly and sent the first thing that came to his head. Overthinking would be too stressful.

to: leia
hey :)

to: leia
its calum btw

To his surprise, she texted back only a few moments afterwards.

from: leia
omg hey! :D

from: leia
i didnt expect u to text so soon

Calum smiled and began to type back.

to: leia
im not that type of guy haha :)

The chat bubble indicating she was typing showed up, then disappeared. It showed up again after a few seconds. She was hesitating. Oh no. I made it awkward already?

from: leia
oh no i dont mean it like that i mean like i thought you'd be hungover or smth

Thank God. Okay. Make it right, Hood. Thus began their first text message conversation.

leia: i mean i didnt even drink that much but i still have a headache hahaha

calum: oh trust me i still have the worst hangover :(

leia: that sucks. want me to come over and make you some hangover soup?

calum: i would freaking love that haha!!

leia: nah. deal with it like a man!!! ;p

calum: mean :p

Calum had never used that emoticon in his life until now. He felt less than a man.

calum: hey btw i should've mentioned this earlier

leia: yh?

calum: this isnt actually my number its my buddy luke's

leia: oh why?

calum: my phone's broken rn im getting it fixed, won't get it for a while

He mentally high-fived himself for the lie.

leia: oh what happened to it??

Oh, shit. He scrambled around his brain but the first thing that popped out was the word toilet.

calum: i dropped it in the toilets and flushed it down hahahahahha

leia: omg are you serious thats insane how did that happen

calum: easier than you'd think

leia: well then add me on facebook just in case ur friend's using his phone :-)

Calum sighed out loud. Why the fuck didn't he think of that? Why did he worry so much over how he's going to talk to her when the internet was right within his reach? He opened his laptop and clicked on his browser, where his Facebook profile had just received a new friend request.

Leia Wilson. Confirm. Delete Request.

So that was her full name. His cursor hovered above the confirm button. He took a deep breath before clicking.

You and Leia Wilson are now friends!

He read that sentence over and over again. Started from the bottom, now we're here, he thought dryly to himself. He picked up Luke's phone and started typing.

calum: done!! sorry my profile picture's embarrassin lol

leia: no its cute omg

leia: yay we're friends now :D

To think that just a few months ago, this girl meant next to nothing to Calum.

It was amazing how one text could change everything.

a/n; hello to U my friends! i'm still not over skh. sorry this took so long!