chptr 55

"Would you walk with me?"

Calum blinked once. Sheepishly he looked down on himself, only then realizing his clothes– or lack thereof. His vision was a bit hazy, almost dreamlike. Was this a dream?

He tried to smile, but he felt too nervous to do so. "Of course, but, uh..." He gestured lamely to himself and forced a laugh.

Leia seemed to realize this and laughed, too. "Oh. Sorry. Yeah. Go ahead. I'll be, uh..." She bit her lip to keep it from smiling too much. "I'll be here."

Calum stepped backward but slipped slightly, and he would've fell if he hadn't clutched the doorknob for dear life. Alarmed, Leia held her hand out to help him up. He accepted it with an embarrassed smile, but inwardly he was slapping his forehead. He was reminded of the first time they met, when he slipped and fell in front of her, too. And like the angel she was, she helped him up. Much like what was happening now. She was always the one who picked him up when he fell.

"Leia," Calum said. He gulped nervously, covering it with a small chuckle. "I don't...uh..." He blew out a shaky breath and took Leia's hand. "I'm afraid you're gonna disappear if I leave."

A smile played on Leia's lips, which she bit down. "I won't." But she saw the hesitation in his eyes. She saw that Calum was being serious, and it broke her heart how paranoid Calum was about her leaving again. "I can come up with you, if you'd like."

Calum's face immediately lit up.

They walked up the stars hand in hand, eerily silent. Calum watched her intently as she walked in front of him, still not totally believing that this was his reality and not just some dream he was having. He didn't squeeze her hand like he always did; instead he held her lightly, like she was a petal and he was afraid of bruising her.

His apartment was dark, but it no longer felt cold to him. She was all the warmth he needed.

Quietly they entered his room and he flipped on his bedside lamp as Leia took a seat on the edge of his bed. "You didn't get rid of the stuffed toys," she observed, laughing silently.

It was true. He'd thought of doing it, but every time he picked one up a goofy smile would spread on his face. He shrugged and smiled at her. "I'm just gonna go change," he told her.

"Calum, wait."

He waited.

"I just gotta get all of this out before I forget them, okay? Like I had a big speech in my head, and I wasn't supposed to tell you I love you but I did, and I–can I start over with my apology?"

"Leia," he said weakly. "You don't have to apologize for anything."

She shook her head and stood up, moving towards Calum. Even in the dim light, he thought she was the most beautiful person he had ever seen. He reached for her the same time she reached for him and they bumped together awkwardly, but they just chuckled.

So here they were, back to where they were a few weeks ago, holding each other in the tranquil darkness of Calum's room, trying to mend the hearts they broke in the same place.

"First of all, Calum, I'm sorry." Calum opened his mouth to tell her it was all his fault, she shouldn't be sorry, but her gaze told him to keep his mouth shut for a while. "Remember when you asked me what I'd say if I ever met the person who's been receiving my dumb texts? I didn't know it was you then, and I told you I'd probably apologize for being an embarrassing excuse for a human being— and I meant that. But when I found out it was you...I don't know." She shrugged. "I freaked out, I guess. And suddenly I was scared."