10

The next day, it's back to school for me whilst Void can spend the day doing whatever the hell he wants. 

"School has lost all meaning for me," I whisper to Malia who sits beside me in English. 

She turns to me with a frown. "I thought you liked books." She whispers back.

"I do, just not the ones the school makes us study when I have the first edition at home," I hiss and she rolls her eyes.

"At least you can read for longer than a chapter without getting bored," She whispers and I shake my head. 

"Not anymore," I whisper, this time she doesn't acknowledge me. She's copying down notes from the board on Romeo and Juliet. 

"Malena?" The English teacher calls out. I think her name is Ms White or something like that. "Would you like to pick a quote from the book to read aloud?" 

I sigh as I sit up in my seat and all heads in the class turn to me. "Any particular one, or just whatever?" I ask as politely as I can manage.

Ms White seems taken aback that I want to answer the question. "Any will do." 

I look at Malia and she passes me her book but I shake my head as I turn back to the front of the class. "But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the East, and Juliet is the sun." I say dramatically and the teacher smiles. 

"Good job! From memory no less! Do you have a copy at home?" She asks.

This is exactly what I wanted to avoid, engaging with a teacher in front of the whole class. 

"Yup," I say and she nods as she turns away. 

"It's a first edition," Malia says and I glower at her as the teacher turns back to me. 

"Really? That's amazing-" She starts but I shake my head. 

"It's not. It's just one from Barnes and Noble." I say through gritted teeth. This conversation was going on for much longer than I wanted. 

"Oh," She says and turns back to the board.

The bell sounds and she dismisses us, Malia almost runs out of the class, with me on her tail. 

She pauses at her locker and turns to me with a small smile. "Sorry," She says and I smile as I shake my head. 

"It's okay Lia, just don't tell the English teacher I have first-edition copies or else she will actually rob my house," I say laughing and she smiles. 

"So," Malia says as she opens her locker. "What's next?" She asks. 

I turn my phone on and go to my photos, where I keep the photo of my timetable. I scan it quickly and groan. "It's lunch but Kira wants us to watch the lacrosse trials with her." 

"Why doesn't she want to watch it alone?" Malia asks and I sigh. 

"Because of the crush she has on a boy," I say as I loop my arm through hers and we turn around in the direction of the field. 

Malia and I walk towards the field, but I send her on without me. I want to try and talk to Scott and Stiles before they go out to play. 

I hear Coach's voice ring out through the hall and changing room. "...All positions available. This is a rebuilding season, people! Jackson's gone, Lahey's gone. Greenburg, the one guy I actually wanted gone, was held back...again."

I hear Isaac's name and stiffen. Just another reminder of what I had left behind. 

"Get your asses on the field!" I hear him shout again. 

I hear a tumbling of steps as they all exit onto the field and I enter the changing room to see Scott talking to Coach. 

Coach turns to me as I enter the room. "What are you doing in here, James? Get out!" 

"I'm just waiting for Scott," I say, wanting to get out of the foul changing rooms as quickly as possible.

"Well then wait outside! I don't trust two sticky teenagers alone in a changing room free to do..." He pauses and I fight off a gag. "You get the point!"

I hold my hands up in defence. "Okay! I'm going outside! Scott please just meet me outside when you're done." 

I walk out the door and hear Coach talking to Scott quietly and then Scott opens the door, looking hourly pissed off.

"What do you want?" He demands and I raise an eyebrow. 

"To say hello?" I say and this gets me a roll of his eyes. 

"Bullshit, what do you really want. You wouldn't be here if you didn't need anything." Scott snaps and I scoff. 

"Scott, I'm here because I want to help you, the real reason I wanted to see you is to ask if Peter's said anything else about the money that was stolen." I hiss, my voice dropping to a whisper as someone walks past us in the hall. 

"Jeez! Would you keep your voice down!" He snaps and pulls me into the changing room. "No, I haven't heard anything. If I did I would've texted you." 

I scoff at this. "So you do still have my number. Since you've been ignoring all my texts and calls, I wasn't sure." 

Scott sighs, "just go to the field with Malia and Kira, Malena. Stop being a nuisance." And with that, he pushes past me, to the door that leads to the field. 

I flip him off as I watch his back until I lose sight of him as he turns the corner to the field. 

I sit down on the bench with a sigh, not would I expected but probably what I deserved. I hear a footstep behind me and I turn to see Stiles walking in, looking at me with a curious look. 

I stand up quickly and turn in the direction of where Scott has just come from. 

"Malena!" Stiles calls out, but I'm already halfway down the corridor and I don't intend on looking back. 

I keep walking until I feel a hand grab my arm. I pull my hand away from his grasp, the action making me realise that Stiles's advance had set off my powers. 

"Hey," Stiles says as he steps away from me but keeps his eyes on my illuminated plans. "I just want to talk." 

My power dims from my hands and I feel the cord in my stomach loosen. "Well, I don't want to. I have a trial to watch, and you have one to be in." I say and turn away from him, he makes the good decision and doesn't try to grab me again, instead settling for walking alongside me. 

"Look, I'm sorry for the other night okay?" He says and sighs. "I was out of line." 

I pause and turn to him, "You weren't though. Everything you said held some truth in it, and I won't lie. Hearing it come from my best friend's mouth hurt. It hurt a lot but I know you were telling the truth, which makes it worse." 

Stiles seems taken aback by my words. "So you're not going to run off with him again?" He asks and even though he doesn't say the name, I know who he's talking about. 

"No. Me and Void are here to stay," I smile and then turn back to the field, Stiles following behind me shaking his head. 

so, that the first update in a month. 🫣 

im so sorry fam, really i am. the next one is being worked on as we speak. i hope you enjoyed that, and it wasn't to boring. next chapter should have some malena x void action. i hope. 

anyways, love you guys heaps! i hope you all have a happy Halloween, if you celebrate it!

ALSO stan taylor swift for midnights. she is my queen. after malena ofc.