Chapter 3

I came back to my desk and sat down with my hands tightly gripping my hair in frustration.

"Vaidehi breathe. In. Out. In. Out." I heard Raj whispering next to me. He handed me a glass of water.

"Vaidehi, chhod kyun nahi deti us baat ko? Kismat ka likha koi palat nahi sakta. Why are you hurting yourself? Use to koi farq nahi pad raha. He is living freely." Raj said angrily. 

I know he was trying to control himself for my sake.

"I can't, Raj. I want answers from him. I want to know why he did that to me?" I said. I may act strong but that didn't mean that I was over it. The one I trusted the most was the one who backstabbed me.

"Whatever Vaidehi, just stop hurting yourself. I am not saying that I don't like this strong and independent version of you. It's just..... I really miss my old friend." He muttered and walked back to his cabin.

I wish I could call her back. But the one he is searching for is not even alive. That girl was brutally killed two years back. 

I decided to distract myself and focus on my work. I contacted my spies and asked them to focus more on this man's company than on him. He may be smart enough to not leave any proofs but someone in his group must be careless to leave at least one evidence. That's all I needed now.

"Ma'am, DSP Sir is calling you." Vishal said to me.

"Alright." The meeting just ended. Why is he calling me again?

"May I come in Sir?" I put my head inside from the door.

"Yes. Come in."

I entered the room. It smelled as if he smoked just now. 

"Vaidehi, if I offer you an opportunity to carry-on investigation on the case which you desperately want to solve, would you accept it?" He asked seriously.

 I blinked once. Twice. Is he serious? Why wouldn't I accept this golden opportunity?

"Of course Sir." I tried to hide the eagerness and excitement in my voice.

"You may take time to think about it." He gave me another chance to change my decision.

"No sir. This is my final decision. I do not need to reconsider it. I am ready to take this opportunity." I instantly said.

"Okay, if that's the case, then I can pull some strings to help you get there." He replied calmly.

Wait.... pull some strings? What does that mean? He must have read my facial expressions. Therefore he explained.

"Pulling strings means, they asked me to send someone who has experience of such cases. But, I believe in your potential. You may not have been a part of a huge case before but I know that you'll help and give your 100% in solving this case. Therefore, I can personally recommend you." 

"Thank you so much, Sir." I could not say much.

"For the office, you'll be on sick leave. You are not allowed to contact anyone. Even if you do, you are not to disclose any information. This is a confidential mission. You may inform your family. You can contact them once in a week but once again, no sharing of any information. Understood?" 

I nodded my head like a small child.

"Okay then. I'll talk to them and mail you the details. That's all." Saying this, he dismissed me.

I went back to my seat, deep in thoughts. 5 minutes later, I received the mail. I was to reach Shimla in the coming three days with only essentials including my laptop and cell. The rest of the details will be disclosed in the office. The address read.... what the actual hell????

NIA office, Chandigarh....???? DSP Sir was sending me to join NIA???

I was dismissed to complete my packing for the mission. My tickets would be sent to me in 24 hours. I went back to my home.

Why on earth was I having this weird feel that this one mission was either going to make my life or it was going to tear it to shreds. 

Huh... calm down Vaidehi. You are just overthinking. Nothing to worry about. All's gonna be fine.

I received my tickets in the evening. My flight was scheduled tomorrow evening. I informed my parents and decided to call it a day.

Next day (NIA Office, Chandigarh)

I reached Chandigarh at 9:00 pm. The detailed briefing would take place tomorrow but the head wanted me to meet him as soon as I landed. So I made my way towards my destination.

"Good Evening Sir." I greeted Manav Sir.

"Good Evening. I hope you're journey was comfortable." He smiled warmly. He was a tall man with mustache turning grey. Anyone could get intimidated just by his looks but contrary to his appearance, his voice held warmth of an elder.

"Yes sir. All fine." I replied in a professional yet respectful manner.

"First things first. So in this mission, you will stay with our another officer. You both will pose as husband and wife. We want you to learn sign language as you'll be acting as mute and deaf. We want you to look like a completely vulnerable young lady just married. This will make it easier for you to collect informations. The rest of the details will be shared tomorrow. Let me introduce you to the officer who'll be joining you on this mission." He led me through the corridors to a room where 5 people were gathered and chattering as if their shift just ended.

My heart stopped as soon as I saw the first face.

"Gaurav Bhaiya....???" I whispered almost unsure of who I was seeing.

He looked equally shocked. But nothing prepared me for the sheer terror that I felt after looking into the eyes which haunted me almost every night.

As he turned around and looked into my eyes, my vision turned as black as his eyes and before I knew.... I collapsed.

SO THIS WAS ALL ABOUT THIS CHAPTER. WHO DO YOU THINK IT WAS? WHO IS THIS GAURAV? WHY IS SHE SCARED OF THE PERSON? STAY TUNED TO KNOW. TILL THEN, TAKE CARE. LOVE YOU ALL. ❤️