Chapter 23

I reached my house early in the morning. 

"Vaidehi, what happened? You never visit us while working on a case. Everything alright na?" That was the first thing my mother asked at the threshold of the house.

"Maa, at least let me enter the house." I chuckled seeing her annoyed face.

My mother brought some water for me and just then my father entered the house.

"Oh Vaidehi, you are already here. See, I brought Radheshyam's samose for your breakfast." He showed me the paper bag in his hands and I just shook my head at his excitement.

"I told you not to bring anything from outside. I already made her some aloo parathas for breakfast. Now she won't touch that. You always spoil her like this." My mother muttered and left.

You see, both were equally excited for my arrival which explains my mother's anger. I know that she must have woken up early to make everything for me. The entire day was spent with their usual bantering and me intervening once in a while.

It was almost the time for dinner so I freshened up and was greeted by my parents sitting in the kitchen waiting for me.

"Now Vaidehi, tell me what's going on? Is everything alright? You've been asking weird questions for a while now." My mother spoke without beating around the bush.

"Maa, I just want to know what happened back then. That's why I am here. I won't be staying for long, as I am not on a leave. I got special permission to meet you guys since it's really important for the case." I tried to explain them mildly.

"What? What case, Vaidehi? You better not get  yourself involved with those people again. We are not losing you again." My father said in a panicked voice.

"Oh come on, Papa. Have a little bit of faith in your daughter. I'm gonna be fine. And if it makes you feel any better, than I am not involved in this... at least not directly. All I have to do is find out what happened back then. Then, I am out of this." I told my parents cleverly hiding the truth from them. I can't worry them.

My mother glanced at my father when I was taking a sip of my tea. Yup. They knew something important.

"Tell me." I tried to convince them.

"Vaidehi, you won't be able to handle the truth, beta." My father said in a low voice and shook his head.

Is it that bad?

"I can. Now tell me, please." I tried my best this time as my eyes got teared-up with frustration.

"It's all because of that damned college of yours." I was taken aback by my mother's sudden outburst.

"What happened? See, I am aware that all this mess is the fault the sloppy college administration but tell me what happened that night? I know, they must have told you something." I asked mother as my whole body tingled with anticipation.

"Vaidehi, you were never a silent kid. You have always have this thing in you which never let's you mind your own business. You can't stand seeing something wrong." My mother said but there was no accusation, instead, her voice held humor.

"I wonder where she got that from?" My father gave a small sad chuckle.

"That's what got in the trouble. The hostel in your college is the reason why this all happened in the first place." My mother said.

"The hostel?" As soon as these words left my mouth, I felt a sharp shooting pain in my head.

Yup, going in the right direction.