Chapter 19

"So?" Raam asked me as he turned towards me, our knees slightly touching under the table.

"So what?" I questioned as I became very aware of the fact that now, it was just the two of us in the house.

"I mean, where do we begin?" He looked at me.

"I don't know. We can either start with visiting the college again..... or you can first talk to your senior. After all, we do need to know why you were there in the first place." I said to him.

"Hmm..." He nodded as he again got lost in his thoughts.

I looked at him. He looked pale... maybe due to exhaustion.

"You can have some rest first. We'll continue this in the evening. In the meantime, I'll try to talk to my parents." I said, and Raam turned to me in shock.

"Why?"

"Relax. I am not going to reveal anything to them. It's just, there are a few things that they know better than me. You know... I was unconscious for a few days, so they were the ones who dealt with police investigations and all." I explained to him.

"Can I ask you something?" Raam said. I found him staring at me with such intensity that I had to break eye contact.

Geez.... this man's aura was so strong and intimidating.

"Uh yeah?" I answered him, unsure about what he might ask.

"Why did your parents allow you to join the department?" He asked as if genuinely confused.

"Huh?" Did I hear him correctly?

"What I mean is... Generally, after such cases... parents get more protective of their children. Then how come your parents allowed you to be back to all this blood and threat?" His hand was now resting on the back of his chair as he fully faced me.

"Oh, they are overprotective of me. I still remember the day when I told my parents that I was going to join the department. My father didn't talk to me for days." I smiled as I remembered that day.

"Because he was angry?" Raam said in a gentle voice as he leaned a bit forward, interested to know the entire story.

"Partially yes. The thing is he is not so good at expressing his feelings. So..." I laughed a little and continued, "He chose the safest option...... of not saying anything at all." 

Raam too chuckled. This was the first time, I heard him laugh like that, and my God wasn't it beautiful.

"Well, he eventually talked to me. My mother, however, is the reason why I am like this. She is a fighter. The strongest pillar of the family. I mean, me and my father are more sentimental. However, my mother is better at controlling her emotions, and hence she stands tall as my biggest support. So, to answer your question... They are still overprotective of me but my mother just said one thing to me... 'If you want to do this... then who are we to stop you from standing back up? Go for it. You are reborn. You are given a new chance... a new life.... live it your way. Don't worry about us.'" I completed with a smile.

I looked at Raam, and he was just looking at me with pure shock. Poor guy never imagined something like that.

"That's just.... wow..... I would love to meet her someday." He said and I chuckled seeing his excitement.

"You should have some rest for now. These past few days were hectic." I said with a smile as I got up and took the files in my hand.

"But....." He began.

"No buts... have rest first. We have enough time." I said without looking at him. Then immediately realized what I just did. I turned around, expecting to face his glare but was met with his amused smile instead.

"What?" I asked seeing his expression.

"Nothing," I replied as he shook his head.

I turned to go upstairs but my foot hit the chair and I lost my balance. But before I could hit the ground, I was pulled into a hard chest. Instinctively, I gripped the person.

When I opened my eyes, I realized that my right hand was exactly on Raam's heart which thudding loudly under my hand. While my left hand gripped his strong shoulders tightly.

Our faces were inches apart and I could feel his breath, blowing away the hair strands on my face.

My breathing was irregular, partially due to the sudden adrenaline rush while expecting the fall. And of course, another reason was this man, standing in front of me, holding me in his arms.

I was so tempted... so so tempted to just touch his face... smooth the worry lines on his forehead and maybe try to pat down his hair which he messed up.

He was the first one to pull away as he look flustered. I too quickly took a step back to create some distance between us.

"Be careful." He said, his voice void of any emotions, as he went into his room and shut the door.

And he is back to normal.

I placed a hand on my heart to calm down and sighed.

What was that, Vaidehi? Can't you be more careful?

"Heh... as if you didn't like being held like that... in his strong embrace."

Shut up, brain.

"Did you notice how soft his hair looked up close...??? I wonder what it would feel to run your fingers through his hair..."

Don't put those thoughts in my head.

"How comfortable it would to be lean your head on his shoulder and close your eyes..."

I am warning you...

"Ooh.... did you notice his lips... Just imagine ki....."

Shut up.

I yelled aloud and noticed Raam who was taking a water bottle from the fridge.

He looked at me like I'd gone crazy.

"Maybe you are crazy."

Yeah, maybe I am... wait what???

"Hihihihi...."

I need a psychiatrist, I swear. I am having full-blown conversations... with myself... does it even make any sense?

HEY GUYS. HOPE EVERYONE'S DOING WELL. SO THIS WAS PROBABLY THE LAST LIGHT CHAPTER. THE REAL CHASE IS ABOUT TO BEGIN. VOTE AND COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS. UNTIL NEXT TIME. TAKE CARE ❤️