Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 10

It had been three days since Bernie and Roger's disastrous non-date and today was the first time they'd be seeing each other since that evening together. All Bernie had to do was make it through her 8-hour shift and she'd be done for the evening, freed up to go and visit Brian at the studio. Whilst she drove, a Queen song started to play on the radio and she turned the stereo up, bopping along to it in the confinement of her car, crying the lyrics as she took a right turn onto the road of which the studio was situated on.

"Guess who!" Bernie burst through the door and beamed at the room. On one side was Brian and Freddie; John and Roger on the other, working on synchronising their beats together. Clearly, the blonde drummer (thankfully) hadn't noticed her entrance and carried on forming melodies with Deacy.

"Bernadette!" Freddie cried and engulfed her in one of his crushing hugs. "Hi, darling, how've you been?"

"Well, you know, little bit of this, little bit of that," she rubbed the back of her head nervously, never quite sure how to respond to Freddie's sincerity. He was so sweet, it was almost confusing how a singular person could have such a big heart that had enough pieces for everyone.

"That's always good to hear, dear. Now, a little birdie told me that you and our favourite drummer here have been up to something." The mischievous undertones in Freddie's voice made Bernie both chuckle and cringe at the same time. She really didn't want people to think that her and Roger had a serious something going on. Although, she was relatively certain that Freddie was just pulling her leg, as she knew that the news would've come from Brian - who wouldn't have explained it improperly.

"Ringo Starr? Where?" Bernie mock-scanned the room with dramatised fascination, earning herself a chuckle from both of the blokes on the panel. "Hi Bri," she fluffed Brian's hair and stood behind him, leaning on his chair. He tried to swat her off the back of his chair, but she clung on and tipped it back, just to frighten him. But his long legs barely left the ground, no matter how far back she tipped him, so the trick didn't really work.

Just then, Bernie had the distinct feeling that there was someone watching her and looked up to see Roger's brilliant blue stare piercing into her skin. The smile was immediately wiped off of her face. She looked away, avoiding his intent gaze, just like she had three nights ago. "Anybody want something to eat? Or a hot drink? I can nip down to the local coffee shop and grab a takeaway for you?" Bernie offered to the room instead of making eye contact with Roger.

Almost simultaneously, about four seconds after Bernie had made the suggestion, Roger and Deacy bustled through to the panel from the booth. "Anyone hungry? I was thinkin' of nipping down to the cafe down the road," Roger asked the room coolly, but Bernie could see him predominantly looking at her through the corner of his eye.

"Oh! What a coincidence, Bernadette here just made the exact same offer." Freddie smirked, resting his slightly stubbly chin on his hand.

"A coincidence indeed," Bernie, seeing through his plan, eyed Freddie up suspiciously.

"Oops," he took his finger off the tannoy button, meaning that Roger had heard every word of what Bernie had said about offering to do a coffee round. "I'll have an earl grey and a sausage roll, Deacy would like a double shot espresso and a cheese sandwich and our good friend Brian here requests the largest coffee they have and a tray of millionaire shortbreads. Have fun!" Freddie literally shoved them both out of the studio room and slammed the door in their wake.

"Looks like someone wanted us to have some alone time together," Roger winked as they descended the stairs and friendlily nudged her with his elbow. Bernie tried so hard to resist an eye-roll, but she just couldn't, along with a slight cringe. "I saw that."

"You were supposed to." She deadpanned and they walked outside in silence. The summer air hit Bernie in the face and a flush came to her cheeks as the late April sun beat down on the pair. The rays were undoubtedly no good for Roger's fair hair and she didn't think she was any better off, being a curly redhead in full uniform. Not coiled curls like Brian's, more like subtle waves that flowed down her back, looking effortlessly silky. All the more reason to make this walk brisk, she thought to herself, unintentionally falling into step with Roger. She tried to fall out of step with him, but it was no use. Sweat began to form around her hairline as the sun relentlessly beat down on her in her thick training uniform. Looks like summer had come early this year.

Just as Bernie thought this situation couldn't get any worse, it did. Through an old alley leading to a block of dingy flats, the man Bernie was most anxious to encounter strutted out onto the wide path and stared her and Roger down. Holden. She gave Roger a subtle yet harsh dig in the ribs and tilted her head in Holden's direction. Roger, sensing trouble, took action immediately as the domineering man began to head straight for them, even though it looked as if his natural walking direction was the opposite way.

Thinking faster than rationality could, Roger pivoted Bernie round by her shoulders and grabbed her face with his rough hands. Before she could even catch a breath, he brought her face towards his and crashed his lips against hers, engulfing her in a pretty heated kiss. In public. For the sake of deterring Holden, Bernie reluctantly parted her lips and allowed for Roger to kiss her, even though panic had already begun to rip through her. One thing that was going through her mind, along with all the other ten trillion things, was that he was an exceptionally good kisser. Experienced lips. It was that thought that caused Bernie to drag her trembling lips away from his. And not a moment too soon.

Taking a glance in Holden's direction to see if he was still watching - which he was - Bernie had to suppress her inner terror and act as if the kiss between herself and Roger was a completely normal thing and continued on walking with him, slyly swatting his hand away when he tried to hold it.

By the time they'd safely passed Holden without incident, all hell let loose.

14/10/22