Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 71

"ROGER! ROGER! WAKE UP, NOW!" Absolutely haring into the bedroom, Bernie barricaded through the door and leapt on top of Roger, who was snoozing peacefully, until now.

"What, WHAT?!" He jerked bolt upright in alarm, face devoid of colour, almost head butting Bernie in the nose accidentally as she had her legs on either side of him; sitting on his knees. "Has something happened? What's going on?"

"Yes, something has happened! READ THIS!" Thrusting an A4 sheet of paper into Roger's face, she made him read the letter aloud, even though his eyes were bleary from sleep.

"Heh-hem -" he started groggily, his voice raspy. She loved his morning voice, she thought it was awfully sexy. "To Ms Bernadette. M Maxwell. Following your application and interview to enlist in being a member of the women's branch in the Metropolitan Police Force of London, we are pleased to inform you that you have met our standards and have been successful. Below are details outlining uniform guidelines, starting dates and more information about what work as a Woman Detective Inspector entails...blah, blah, blah, info, info, info, Many thanks, Nick Frank: Detective Chief Inspector for Metropolitan Police, Kensington. Holy shit, Birdie," Roger threw the letter carefully to one side as to not crease it. "YOU'RE GUNNA BE A DETECTIVE INSPECTOR!"

She beamed from ear to ear. She hadn't told anybody about the application nor the interview, not even Brian, not wanting to get everybody's hopes up if she wasn't successful in her interview. Making use of the position that Bernie was in, sitting on top of him, Roger wrapped his arms around her and brought her in for a hug and a kiss. He skipped all of the gentle good-morning stuff and showed her just how proud he was of her through the movement of his lips. She complied hungrily and let herself be swept away. Truth be told, she was getting nearer to the point where kissing him just wasn't enough, and she craved more.

"I'm so proud," he breathed between kisses until there was no room to do so. Since their conversation, Roger had been a little bit cautious of where to touch her, but had every confidence when she brought his hands to her waist. He held onto her waist as she sat on his lap, more or less straddling him with the duvet in between them. She hadn't meant to, it was just where she had landed when she leapt on top of him in all her excitement, but she also made no effort to change how she was sitting. Instead she pulled on his hair slightly, earning a groan from him, which was returned as a particularly soft moan when he bit on her lip. "Birdie," he broke off for a moment. "Whenever you're ready, please don't be afraid to tell me. I'll take it slow."

"Not now, but soon." She couldn't bring herself to smile, her emotions taunting her, but her heart fluttered on the inside at his compassion. Laying herself down on top of him, she wrapped her arms around him and savoured the feeling of his thumb stroking her hair as she rested her head on his chest. "I'm sorry I've made you wait so long. Your dick must be about ready to explode by now," she mumbled into the fabric of Roger's duvet.

"Well, there are other ways that I can, you know, satisfy my needs..." he smirked, of which was blind to Bernie. She rolled off of him, revealing a slight lump from under the duvet.

She noticed it and cocked an eyebrow, grinning cheekily as she propped herself up on her elbows. "Oh, really?"

"No!" Roger cried, lying through his teeth.

"Liar." She grinned and leant forward, crashing her lips against his with passion, moving her left hand from his hair to his jaw, down to his bare chest. She danced her fingers over the smooth skin and half laid on top of him again, putting a leg over his waist under the duvet. He slid his hand to the back of her neck, the other fixed to her waist. It wasn't until she felt something very prominently against her hip that she decided to stop. Not because she wanted to, but because she thought it was unfair to Roger to keep egging him on like that. Whether or not he'd found personal pleasure in his own time remained a mystery to Bernie, one she was happy to keep unsolved.

The elation she felt as she got increasingly more intimate with Roger, plus the life changing news from that morning, really made her believe that soon she would be able to overcome her anxieties. Life was moving forward rapidly, and she had to hop on the tram before it rattled away without her, leaving her stuck in the past.

"So when do you start?" Roger asked a little while later, when they were sat at the table drinking coffee.

"21st November," she put her cold hands to her flushed cheeks, "I still can't believe it, that's exactly a week away! Roger!"

But he couldn't reply. Coffee was being aggressively ejected from his mouth, droplets splattering absolutely everywhere, drenching anything and everything within range. "What the fuck?!" He cried, standing up abruptly to grab a dish towel.

"Yeah, what the fuck Meddows, this is a nice. Shirt."

"No, not what the fuck to that, what the fuck to your start date." Making his way round the table, he mopped up the mixture of coffee and his own spit.

"What about my start date? Is there a problem?"

"No. But when did I tell you our new album was being released?"

Bernie's hands stopped trying to brush off the coffee and instead clamped over her mouth in shock. "No way. No. Fucking. Way."

Slamming the cloth down in defeat, Roger gave up with cleaning, only half done with it and instead sat back down, taking out a cigarette. "Pass one," Bernie nodded to him, holding out her hand. He pressed one into her now warm palm and lit it for her, always finding it so sexy how she leant back in whatever chair she was in without a care in the world, holding onto the cigarette elegantly between her fingers as if they were made for her usage. "Thanks," taking a drag, she blew the smoke out of her mouth and into the room. "21st November. Big day for us." All teeth being revealed, she beamed her infamously dazzling smile.

"Indeed it is. Now hurry up with that smoke, you look too irresistible with a cig between your lips."

3/5/23 - happy May! :)