Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 47

Sat down on the dry but thriving grass whilst Carter had a drink, Roger turned to face Bernie and looked her dead in the eye. "Out of everything here, I think you're the most beautiful," his voice was lower and softer than usual and he gently brushed a stray lock of hair out of her eyes as he said it, brushing her forearm briefly as he returned his hand to his side, making her turn away embarrassedly. Of course she secretly felt extremely complimented as per usual, but she also didn't feel her usual repulsion. This time, she wanted his hand to linger around her face, his rough fingertips brushing against her smooth, expectant cheek. This was a major breakthrough and Bernie had the sudden silent epiphany that she was ready to let go of the hold Holden had on her. What he did to her was still in the forefront of her mind but she knew it'd be a long haul until it didn't bother her anymore. That's if that day ever did come.

"You're just saying that," she replied after a moment, the pair of them absorbing the way the light glinted in the flowing water.

"No, I'm not. This entire time, I don't know if Brian's told you, but I like you. I really do."

Letting his words seep into her skin, she couldn't help but smile. Hearing those words in general was like being told she was in paradise, let alone hearing them from Roger himself. It'd been a while since somebody had hit on her sincerely. "I didn't know you were capable of any feeling of attraction except sexual, Taylor."

"Oh, there's plenty of that too, but I don't think now's the time to get into that."

"You're absolutely right."

"I know I am."

A silence. But not the usual comfortable one that descended upon them both.

"Roger?" Bernie asked in an almost-whisper.

"Yeah?"

"Look at me." He looked at her. "Have you got something to tell me?" Her jade eyes shone with potential and Roger couldn't stay silent any longer. Screw the agreement he'd made with Brian all those months ago, he wasn't going to waste anymore time.

Roger gulped and took a long blink, honing in on his surroundings. The cheeping of birds, the feel of the grass on his fingertips, the sight of Bernie's patient face against the beautiful woodlands, the mix of her perfume and fresh water lingering in the air between them. "I-"

"Out with it, Roger, no good waiting for the grass to grow, bloody hell," it had taken Roger thirty seconds to make one sound and Bernie, sensing what he was thinking, decided to make it as hard as possible for him. For no other reason than: she wanted to.

"You've got quite a mouth on you, haven't you? It's about time someone taught you what to do with it," he smirked, rebounding off of her confidence.

"Go on then." Her tone changed and eyes locked with his as they darkened with anticipation. What the hell was she doing? She had no idea, but she was enjoying it.

"Are you flirting with me?"

"Are you flirting with me?" Bernie raised an eyebrow, feigning innocence even though she knew full well what was going on. She enjoyed stealing the ball from his court, a smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

"Well, yes, obviously, but I thought you hated me?" As he said it, his gaze dropped to her lips and all he wanted was to feel them on his. He'd had his fair share of lovers, but he'd never wanted a singular woman this badly in all his life.

"I do think you're a twat, but I don't hate you...anymore."

"Aren't you the romantic one, Birdie?" Roger rolled his eyes, but with a flicker of a smile.

"Birdie? How many months has it taken you to think that one up?" Scrunching her nose, she milled over the nickname for a moment. Something about it put a sturdy wall between Roger and Holden and it was like some somebody had focused Bernie's vision. She was newly aware that she was talking to Roger, and she wanted to kiss Roger, who was now completely independent from Holden.

"Oh... Sorry, that just...came out." Almost going red, he fiddled with his hands in his lap, feeling humiliated. Bernie, however, had other ideas and she moved herself closer to Roger so that their arms were touching.

"Kiss me." She said simply, her face deathly serious.

Without further hesitation, he leaned forward and executed the plan he'd been brewing for months, and what better setting? Lightly, he caressed her jaw bones, placing his hands around the side of her face and drew her face towards his. But he didn't need to as she met him halfway, evidently wanting to kiss him too, which was reassuring. They closed their eyes and she parted her lips, feeling the soft warmth of his connect with hers. Slowly, they kissed tenderly and broke apart after a moment, her head still in his hands. This is what she'd been waiting for.

As one, they both took a calm breath before simultaneously crashing their lips together desperately. It seemed they couldn't get enough of each other as he buried one hand in her hair and another on her back, pulling her against his chest, still not breaking the kiss. She didn't protest and instead gripped tightly onto his clothes, seemingly not getting him close enough for her liking. Partly because of the force of the kiss and partly because he wanted to, Roger pulled Bernie on top of him entirely and she sat on his lap sideways.

Softly, a groan left his mouth as his hands found her waist and rapidly explored her back and neck. Meanwhile, she continued to pull him towards her by his collar and gripped his hair, pulling it gently. No sound left her mouth bar the sound of their desperate, ravenous kissing, but Roger's groaning was becoming deeper. "Birdie," he gasped, "What's the law against sex in public spaces?"

"Tight," she chuckled playfully and fixed her lips back onto his, already missing their softness and shared control. She'd never had a kiss like it and could have screamed in frustration when they were interrupted by the sound of Carter neighing. And he sounded distressed. "Argh!" She cried, frustrated, being forced to remove herself from Roger's embrace to see what it was that Carter wanted. Miraculously, she felt good. Energised.

Not too far away, the pair watched as Carter descended to his knees and then flopped down, laying on the grass taking small, rapid breaths. "Oh. That doesn't look good," Roger mused, standing up and dusting himself off.

"No, it doesn't." Bernie agreed. "I'm definitely a faster runner than you, so I'll go back to the farm and get help, you take Carter's tack off."

"You think you're faster than me?" Roger crossed his arms, taking a moment to protest.

"I don't think, I know. You're a stick, Taylor. Go!" Then she went to make a dash down the track, leaving Roger alone with Carter. But before she went, he gripped her arm and halted her. "What?" She asked desperately, but was silenced by a soft kiss on the mouth. Easily, so, so easily, she could've jumped on him right then and there but she kept on task and ruffled his hair instead before darting off.

"She won't give me a break, will she boy?" Roger knelt down and stroked Carter before taking off his bridle. He neighed in agreement. "At least someone's on my side."

20/2/23 - what's this? a chapter on a Monday?! Yes! I couldn't wait any longer to release this chapter but don't worry, I'll still be back on Wednesday <3