Chapter 76

Two days before she was due to start her new job, Bernie snapped. All week, her and Roger had been attached at the hip. She'd of course given herself time to see her other friends, like Brian and one of the women she met at college, who had been a police officer for almost four months now. Apparently, Bernie was in for a world of fun: it seemed London was a crime-filled city by night. It wasn't long at all until she started, and despite her new awareness of how busy she'd be, she was enthralled by what was to come.

And, when she and Brian met for lunch on Wednesday with Chrissie, the shiny silver ring he'd selected sat delicately on the wedding finger of her left hand. Even though Bernie had already seen it, she still admired it's beauty and clamoured for details about the engagement. It was incredibly romantic and Bernie swooned in her seat like a teenager at the story. Brian had taken Chrissie to the garden center and had her select a tree sapling to plant in their garden. Then, after it was in the perfect spot, he got down on one knee and proposed, along with a little speech about how the tree marked the start of their life together. To an outsider, it may have seemed like a lousy shot, but Bernie knew Brian and Chrissie's style and couldn't think of a better proposal.

But now it was Saturday and the new working week was ahead of her. As she was strolling through Ravel in search of some new work boots, something hit her. Not unlike a wrecking ball. An electrical-like spark pulsed through her veins and fizzled at the ends of her fingers and toes.

When she thought of Roger, a certain thrill came to her that had never jumped out at her so forcefully before and all she could think about was how desperately she wanted to pay for a damn pair of boots so that she could get home and see him.

Bombarding through the door, she kicked off her trainers and charged through the flat to find Roger. It didn't take much detective work to find him sitting at the breakfast bar, scrawling words down in pencil in a notebook. She recognised its flimsiness as his songwriting book. In that moment, something as simple as a half-empty notebook held nothing of significance to the burning she felt pulsing through her bloodstream.

She charged up to him and threw her arms around him, leaning on his back and kissing his neck playfully. Roger seemed startled, but instantly dropped his pencil and closed his eyes, adjusting his neck so that Bernie had more access to his skin. She kissed his neck and jaw until she decided that it wasn't enough and pulled herself away from him, allowing him to stand.

"Hi Birdie," he came to his feet, abandoning his writing, seeming slightly dazed. Red marks rose on his skin already and he brought his fingers to the exact spots, evidently feeling them tingle. "What's going on?" Although he was sure he already knew what was happening, he couldn't resist but ask, enjoying watching Bernie more or less crumple before him. Finally, he thought, she understands how I've been feeling for eight fucking months.

Stepping towards her, he wrapped his arms around her waist, "good day?" He teased.

"Roger," Bernie whispered into his ear, almost standing on tiptoes on the hard wooden kitchen floor. "I'm yours." Her head was crammed with so many emotions, there was barely enough space to think about how desire managed to squeeze its way through to the top.

These words, paired with the eagerness of her body language, was all Roger needed before pressing her into the wall and kissing her with a passion he didn't know he had buried within him. Deep feelings of affection trailed behind the raw lust bursting out of him, making the moment tender, despite the audible eagerness filling the room.

Grasping at his shirt, Bernie unbuttoned it haphazardly, her fingers fumbling as her mind was focusing more attention to her own lips than Roger's shirt. Damn, why won't these things undo? She asked herself frustratedly, but she already knew why. After a moment and with only three buttons undone, revealing his smooth chest, she was lifted off of the floor and the next thing she knew, she was being carried upstairs, draped over Roger's shoulder. When he really, really wanted to, he could dig out a strength sometimes even he forgot he had. She'd long since regained the muscle she'd lost since her accident, so she was slightly heavier than he'd expected, just carried her up the stairs nonetheless.

And here they were again, kissing like their lives depended on it, in the bedroom, about to take the leap. Except this time, Bernie knew she wouldn't be backing down. She was in ecstasy.

Outside, a bitter November wind crashed into the window, shortly accompanied by the pitter patter of heavy rainfall. The sound was almost humbling, and Bernie slowed herself down a bit, letting herself be whisked away by trusted hands. This was nothing like she'd ever experienced. It was true bliss to feel his hands exploring her body, his hot lips against hers, the sound of the driving rain thrashing into the windows through the pitch-blackness of the late November afternoon.

After a while of kissing, undressing, kissing, undressing, kissing, admiring and kissing, the pace had slowed significantly and Roger gently nipped her bottom lip, trailing his tongue over it and sweeping her into a final, deep kiss before breaking off and focusing his attention to what was about to begin. Bernie's face resembled something of concentration, worry and pleasure at this incredibly foreign feeling. It'd been so, so long since she'd done this, and even longer since she'd enjoyed it.

"All good?" Roger whispered, feeling it inappropriate to use a louder tone when the air was so intimate. He was slightly worried by the look on her face. Meanwhile, the rain was getting heavier and the sky was turning an even deeper navy, clouds obstructing the stars.

"Yeah...just...adjusting," she mumbled back, her eyes on the man on top of her; her brain on the feelings tingling through her body. It didn't take as long as Bernie expected before she was at complete ease. It almost felt like the thick rain clouds above existed only for them, sheltering them from the rest of the outside world as the relentless rain drowned out the bustling sound of society.

A twinge of adrenaline shook in her stomach as Roger leant down to plant loving kisses on her vacant lips. It was a good kind of adrenaline, a burning kind that flowered through her. Shortly after the feeling had nearly fully consumed her, she felt something she hadn't experienced in many, many moons. It felt extremely liberating and she was so glad it was Roger with her.

Strands of Roger's hair stuck to his face and neck as his hands reached out to Bernie's hips and held them, his fingers hot against her bare skin. Then it all slowed down, the pace, the rain, her erratic heartbeat. An oddly gruff noise escaped him whilst he continued almost tiredly. He took the time to shakily kiss her jaw, neck, chest, stomach one last time before laying down beside her with a heavy thump.

Bernie's body felt tired, yet thrilled. No thoughts of anything before Roger came to mind and it was like a paradise of emotions. Her mind felt so light with the final dregs of what just happened flowing through her veins like a gentle stream. But the stream was travelling up hill and she turned to Roger, admiring the slow rise and fall of his chest, the curves of his jaw and the flutter of his eyelids as he realised he was being watched.

His eyelids flicked open. To him, what had just happened was worth every second of the 9-month wait Bernie had made him endure. "Fuck," he breathed, turning his body to face hers and running his hand down her side until his arm couldn't reach any further. A wistful smile lit up her face and she brought her head closer to rest in the crook of his neck, inching her body closer to his.

"How romantic." Judging him, but smiling nonetheless, she brought the duvet over them and listened intently to the subtle rain trickling outside. A beam of a streetlight came through the window, suggesting that the clouds were beginning to clear. "But yeah, we're gunna be doing that again."

Putting his hand under her chin, Roger brought it up and kissed her, suddenly not being able to get enough of her again, which she was more than happy with. Climbing on top of him, his warm hands reached out to her, searching for everything and nothing at the same time on her soft skin. Much to his disappointment, she rolled off of him and got up, feeling exposed to the cold air and making her way to the bathroom without a backwards glance. Bernie didn't need to look to know that Roger was watching her walk away.

The girl in the bathroom mirror looked nothing like her, all messy-haired and rosy-cheeked. Everything was going to be just fine.

29/11/23