Chapter 16: A gamble for points

————————
We decided to cut the deck into thirds, which was originally uneven but in the end, each person was given 16 cards in total.

We didn't look at the cards we took out mainly to keep it fair, but we did make sure to take all the jokers out.
I was sure that Shinomiya Kei would be a tough opponent, after looking at him win all those other battles.
I wasn't sure about Ryuuen. I hadn't seen him do anything before, but he at least looked confident.

Katagiri had practically forced me into this battle. Telling me that I was the only chance we had to win.
Ayanokōji did nothing to stop it. They sold Chiaki, who would have been perfect for this.

But, I was confident, that I at least have a fighting chance.

"Here are your cards Horikita."
Kei handed me a rather small deck of cards. We had taken a lot of cards out to shorten the game time.
"And here are your cards Ryuuen~"

Ryuuen snatched the cards from his hand.
"Can I trust you didn't tamper, Shinomiya?"

Kei chuckled. "I don't have to waste time doing that to win against you."

Ryuuens body guards looked ready for a fight, but he held them back.
"Okay, everyone pick there card~"

I looked to the 16 cards in my hand.
Only one ace, one king, and two queens.

I decided to go for the Queen, for a possible early lead. Katagiri and Ayanokoji stood for behind me, as they were not allowed to talk to me.
A girl with black hair, and a boy with glasses stood far behind Kei.

I picked the Queen.
"Everyone ready?"

I nodded along with Ryuuen.
"and...go!"

I quickly placed my card on the table.

Ryuuen and Kei both placed kings.

I had lost the first round.
I was mainly at a loss for words.

Kei just stared at me.
"What?"

He wore a wide smile.
"Your just too easy to read!"
He said it happily, and it disgusted me.

"Well Ryuuen, shall we duke this one out.

A chuckle.
"Okay, Shinomiya."

They both placed an upside down card on the top of their king, and then they both picked the card they would play.

A loud smack on the table as they placed their cards.

Ryuuen had played a five, while Kei had placed a six.
Ryuuen let out a sigh, but kept his smirk.
"Looks like we both had the same idea on this one, Shinomiya."

"Heh, maybe so."

They had both placed low level cards so neither of them would lose that much no matter the outcome.
Ryuuen: 13 cards remain
Horikita: 15 cards remain
Kei: 20 cards remain

(A/N: For anyone wondering why Ryuuen lost three cards, it is because when you tie with someone, you first place a card upside down on the card you placed, AND THEN you play another card. So Ryuuen lost his king, and two other cards.)