Chapter 46: Changing Relationships/ To take down a demon

(Unknown POV)

The season is changing, and as the sakura trees bloom and fall on the Advanced Nurturing High School.

The sports festival is coming.

I'm writing this letter to you to confess my love.

You don't know who this letter is coming from, but knowing you better than anyone else, Im sure you can guess who I am.

I don't expect a response.

I instead ask for your forgiveness.

Because I will expel you from this school,

Ayanokoji Kiyotaka.

-

(Ayanokoji POV)

As spring came, I started to think on my relationships that I had cultivated since I came to this school.

I thought about this as a way to entertain myself on my way to Kekyai mall.

People  were abundance in the streets. Its always like this after classes are  dismissed. Friends meet with the people they can't usually see in their  class. Despite the special exams and the school's attempt to divide the  students based on their intellect, people broke these barriers and made  friends outside of the class they were bound to.

Could I do the same?

I  hadn't thought of cultivating relationships outside of my own class,  but maybe a change was coming, a change I would orchestrate.

"Kiyotaka!"

From  behind me, I hear Hiyori's voice. After the island exam, I had decided  to confess to her as an attempt to further Yuuichi's plan to infiltrate  class c. She accepted, and we began dating. I didn't really feel like I  was doing a proper job, however, since we haven't had much time to hang  out yet. Ive only told Yuuichi, or better yet, he already knew with out  me having to tell him.

"Hiyori, what are you doing here?"

She  stopped a few inches in front of me, and held out a something for me to  grab. It was a stack of papers held together by a single paper clip.

"Whats this?"

"A gift."

A  gift? Had I forgotten something we planned? I know some high school  couples exchange gifts on weekly or monthly anniversaries, but only one  day had passed since my confession.

I immediately checked my pockets for anything I could give in return, but she saw my sudden confusion, and laughed in return.

"I don't expect a gift in return. I just want your opinion."

"My opinion? On what?"

She nudged her hands toward my chest, so I grabbed it, and took a look at the stack of papers she had given me.

"A...manuscript?"

Her  face turned slightly red as she scrambled and tried to find her words.  Ive never seen her like this before. She always seemed calm and more on  the cold side, even if she really wasn't. Maybe it was a sign of us  growing closer.

"Um..well...I  decided to write my own manuscript. I didn't have the confidence  before, but you liking me back gave me encouragement that I have the  talent to do it."

I  try to recognize any lies in her words, but I sense none. She really  meant what she said, which confused me more than anything else. I wasn't  sure what I had given her, but there are some emotions I don't  understand, and she seemed buying something I wasn't offering.

I decided to put my hand on her head, and copy what I had seen other do before.

"I'll read it tonight."

We  stayed like that for a moment, but then Hiyori realized that we were  still in public, and she began to walk back to the girls dorm, probably  feeling slightly embarrassed.

I remained standing for a moment, watching Hiyori leave.

Its strange.

Hiyori  was just an experiment for me, a way to experience romance and learn  for future improvement. I planned to move on sooner rather then later,  to get as much improvement as I possibly could over my time in high  school. But, after watching Hiyori disappear into the crowd, I found  myself lingering on thoughts of her and our evolving relationship.

The  encounter had left me questioning my initial intentions and  contemplating the possibility of experiencing more 'firsts' with her  than I had originally planned. As I strolled through the bustling  streets outside the school, my mind wandered to other things—like the  upcoming sports festival and the interactions awaiting me with my  classmates. Little did I know that the events of that day would mark the  beginning of a series of unexpected developments...

-

The  cafe was crowded but I was sure Arisu could get a table even if she  hadn't gotten here in time. All she had to do was steal it from someone  else.

She was alone, and as soon as she saw me, she waved me over.

"Hello, Kiyotaka."

The  table she chose had only two chairs left, as other people had taken the  other two and dragged them to other tables to sit next to their  friends. At least, I assume that's what happened.

The only seat left was the one right next to her, so I sat there not having any other option.

"I got you this."

She handed me a drink.

"I don't like coffee."

"I know. That's why I got you tea."

I didn't ask how she knew that and accepted the drink.

Arisu was always smiling, or better yet, smirking as if she was always playing some kind of game.

Suddenly, under the table, she took my hand in hers.

Sensing my confusion, she looked over to me, as we made eye contact for this first time.

"This is a note someone gave me to give to you."

She let go of my hand, and I felt a piece of paper. I put it in my pocket for later.

"Arisu, I need your help to take down Yuuichi, or at least, to calm him down."

She sighed.

"He gets like this some times. He starts to have fun and he takes everyone around down along with him."

She  crossed her legs under the table. I could tell, because we were too  close in the small table, and every small movement either of us made  could be felt by the other.

"So, how can I help you, Ayanokoji?"

She turned her head again to look at me.

"I know there's a bug in class d. I want you to remove them."

"And by remove them, you mean..."

I finally turned my head to her to make eye contact.

"I want you to expel them."

For just a moment, even she looked surprised, but then returned to her normal outer facade.

"Well what happened to staying in the background in high school? This will make big waves you know."

After a brief moment of silence...

"I know."

Her smile seemed to get wider.

"I can do that. But Ill need something in return."

"What's that?"

Suddenly, her face changed to one I almost recognized, one that Katagiri Yuuichi often had.

"I want you to expel Suzene Horikita."

----------------------------------------------