Part 5

Jennie

Coincidences.

There were times that were so ironic, so mind-blowing, that I had to pinch myself. That was what I'd done when I laid eyes on Lisa, sitting across the table from me in a deliciously handsome, dark suit, a silver striped tie, and the scent of shower and lust wafting over from her.

Really, what were the chances that the woman I hadn't been able to stop thinking about was my sister's lawyer?

And now, she was staring at me, waiting for an answer to a question that was completely insane.

Me ... acting ... on a reality TV show?

No.

But the grin on her lips, the promise in her eyes, told me she believed in me. That she wanted this for me, that she was going to make it happen.

I just had to say yes.

I set down my coffee that I'd been holding against my mouth, clearing the thickness from my throat, and glanced at my lap. If I looked at my sister, I knew what her expression would show—her opinion was more than clear. But I needed a moment that wasn't influenced by her to breathe, to get my thoughts straight.

When I finally glanced up again, the confidence in Lisa's eyes hadn't wavered one bit.

"Yes."

My sister gasped, her hand flying across the open space between us to grab my arm, but it didn't pull my focus away from Lisa, and I watched her stand from her chair and make her way over.

She gripped the top of my seat, sliding it away from the table. "Come with me."

My heart pounded so loudly that I was sure she could hear it. "Now?"

"Yes, Jennie. Now."

I didn't feel my feet as she led me out of the conference room, each step happening without my control, bringing me deeper into this crazy dream.

"I can't believe this is happening," I whispered, the door to each office whizzing past me as I fought to keep up with her long strides.

"Believe it."

The fingers that had been inside of me last night were now on my lower back. The tingles she had filled me with had returned, this time in my chest.

"Why are you doing this? I mean, helping me get this job?"

Her smile made me want to melt into the carpet.

"I know a star when I see one, Jennie."

I was positive I'd stopped breathing, the air getting especially hot as we began to slow, the last door at the end of the hallway our obvious destination.

When we stopped in front of it, Lisa knocked.

"Come in," was spoken from the other side.

Lisa's hand left me as she said, "Give me two minutes. I need to speak to Bobby, and then I'll come back out and get you."

I nodded, words so far from my brain that I couldn't form any if I tried.

She disappeared inside the office, closing the door behind her, and I leaned against the wall beside me, needing its stability to take some of my weight.

What the hell am I doing?

I knew nothing about acting or television, aside from what I'd learned in the six weeks I'd been working for Daisy. And my sister, who considered every girl in the world as her competition, was going to kill me for leaving her meeting and agreeing to Lisa's offer.