Part 37

Lisa

"You don't have to sit in on today's meeting if you don't want to," I said to Jennie while we ate lunch outside on the deck.

Forty-eight hours had passed since I'd stormed into Ted's office, and our video chat was scheduled to begin in fifteen minutes. Jennie needed to reenter the world at her own pace. I didn't want her to feel any pressure to face those motherfuckers.

"It's okay," she said. "I want to be there."

"You're sure?"

She nodded and took a bite of her fruit salad before setting down her fork. "I already know who's responsible. Nothing they can say will come as a shock."

Irene, that fucking cunt.

She'd been on my short list when I was coming up with people who could be at fault. I wanted to be wrong about her. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. But every goddamn time, she'd proven that she was a self-centered piece of shit, and this episode had taken the fucking crown.

As far as the studio was concerned, this was on the asshole who worked in the editing room. They didn't even know about Irene's involvement.

But in my eyes, she was far from innocent.

I would leave it up to Jennie on how she wanted to handle her sister. If she wanted me to destroy what was remaining of Irene's career, I would. With a fucking smile on my face.

If Jennie wanted me to do nothing, letting Irene rot in her narcissism, I'd oblige but not before I gave that cunt a piece of my mind.

"You do know that the studio is going to put their own spin on what happened," I said. "They don't want a lawsuit or for anyone to poke around in their business, so they're going to make you an offer and hope this goes away."

She rolled her eyes. "I figured."

I took a drink of my iced tea. "The moment you're ready to strike a deal, I'll have my team draw up the paperwork."

She traced her fork around the plate, her eyes on the food she hadn't touched. "I still don't know what I want to do."

"You don't have to decide on the settlement right now, but as far as shooting goes, you will have to come up with a plan fairly soon. They're going to want you to report to set within a day, two at the most."

"I know." She sighed. "And I'm sure my new followers are waiting for a response instead of the silence I've been giving them."

I reached across the table, setting my hand on hers. "In the media world, silence causes fire to spread. We want to put out those fires and speculation before anything else burns."

Her eyes finally connected to mine. "I just don't know what to say."

"Don't worry, baby; we'll figure it out." I checked my watch. "But we should head inside; the meeting is going to start in a few minutes."

She followed me into the home office, where multiple monitors were set up on the large desk. I pulled another chair around, so we could sit beside each other, and I logged in to the network.

I held the mouse over the Connect button. "Are you ready?"

"I think so." She slowly inhaled. "Yes."

When the video turned on, I saw a boardroom, the same men as our prior meeting sitting around it, Shane there as well.

"Lisa, Miss Kim, thank you for joining us," Ted said.

He then made the introductions, so Jennie knew the names of his team.