Episode 8, Part 1: Kidnapped or Killed?

Sunny lightly landed in the sand before the office. She opened the door only to have several old newspapers spill out. "Deathbringer, what-"

"We got a new case." He said, walking over several papers as he gave Sunny the case letter, "And I decided to do some background research before you came."

"By going to the library archives and getting every single newspaper printed within the last five years?"

"I may have been a bit more thorough than strictly necessary." He admitted, shuffling multiple papers around to clear a pathway to his desk and grabbed his coffee and took a sip.

Sunny sighed and unfolded the letter. "My son, Kith, has been missing for several days now. My wife and I have become increasingly concerned about what may have happened to him. She-"

"You can skip that section," Deathbringer called, "It's pretty much just an entire paragraph about how concerned he and his wife are."

"Please help us find our son. From Barchan." Sunny read, skipping to the last sentence. "So what do we know about Kith?"

[pronounced bahr-kahn, for those unfamiliar with the word]

"Quite a lot actually. Seven days ago he was returning home after spending the afternoon watching scorpion fights with his friends. He and his friend Ghibli split as he turned to take an alley. No one has seen him or his pet coyote since."

"They took the coyote too?"

"Yes." Deathbringer said, before dropping a tall stack of papers in front of Sunny "But that's not all there is for Kith. He's practically an expert at making bad decisions, and because his father is a wealthy and respected business dragon he's become something of a media favorite. He's made the front page more than a dozen times and could hardly go a week without getting something about him published. Until a year ago, when he pulled his biggest muck up ever and burned a bar to the ground. Since then though, he hasn't even been on the back page."

"Wow... he's certainly caused more than a few problems." Sunny said, flicking through the reports. "I suppose we should start by questioning his family, and Ghibli too."

一 一 一

"I know you said they were rich but still... This is one big house." Sunny said as they approached the house.

"Argreed." Deathbringer said, knocking on the door. After a moment it swung open to reveal a short, light-brown dragon who looked mostly like a Sandwing but lacked a tail bard and whose snout was far too flat and wide. Perhaps a Sandwing-Mudwing hybrid.

"May I inquire about who you are and what you two are here for?" He asked.

"I'm Deathbringer and this is Su- Princess Sunny. We're here to help investigate Kith's kidnapping."

"Ah, yes. Come in." He said, "Sir Barchan, the detectives have arrived."

Sunny and Deathbringer entered the house as a tall Sandwing with a bandaged arm descended the stairs. "Thank you for responding to my letter so quickly." Barchan said.

"Of course." Deathbringer replied, "We would like to ask you and your family a few questions, if you don't mind."

"Not at all. Beige, please go fetch Foehn and Felicitous. Now, what do you need to know detectives?"

"Is there anyone specific who might have wanted to kidnap Kith?" Sunny asked.

"I suppose I'm rich enough to make him a target for anyone desperate enough, but no one specific comes to mind. Though Kith tends to hang out with some of the more... unsavory street crowds. It's easily possible that he ran his mouth off and angered some of them."