19

"So, none of the black magic spreading across the ground and trees is familiar to you?" Gerard asked.

It had been awhile since they had moved from their overnight resting point and dealt with the planet's rumbling. Frank hadn't retreated back into his head since they had started moving, but their conversations for a majority of their movement had been quick back and forths. They had began to slow, however, making for an easier pace to walk and talk.

"I fell. I saw you fall. Everything went white and then you were in front of me." Frank replied, shaking his head. "I didn't see anything like that."

Gerard frowned. The dark streaks that had trailed from his darkened eyes had fully faded now, but they had taken quite awhile to disappear. It had been quite the magic display to not be remembered. For someone so new to magic, it made the prophecy seem that much more plausible.

"Why was everything shaking?" Frank stepped carefully over a muddy patch of land in an attempt to keep from sinking down too far. "I've never felt anything like that."

"The planet is a living thing." Gerard stopped and crouched down. Frank had to backtrack a few steps before mimicking his movement. Gerard extended his hand to Frank. "It may not breathe like you and I, but it can sense things in its own way." Frank placed his hand in Gerard's, allowing it to be guided to the ground. Gerard slipped his hand away so that Frank's palm was against the dirt and instead rested his hand on top of Frank's. "We can't feel it all the time, but if we listen closely..."

Gerard's magic began to trickle down his arm. He could feel Frank tense as his magic made it to his hand. "This is only to help you feel what I mean, nothing else." He promised as his magic flowed over Frank's hand and puddled on the dirt. Frank's hand relaxed slightly.

As the puddle of magic began to seep into the ground, a soft vibration started under their hands. Rhythmic thuds and slushing filled their ears as the sounds of the planet's interior rose up. Frank gasped as the sounds and vibrations continued for another moment before Gerard pulled his hand away.

When he looked back up, the black streak like tears were back on Frank's face. Actual tears pooled and spilled from the corners of his eyes alongside the marks. Gerard reached out to swipe away one side of his tears. "Hey, I didn't mean to upset you." As he swiped with his thumb, the black tear streak remained.

"It was sacred." Frank's voice cracked as he spoke. He looked confused as Gerard swiped the tear from his other cheek. "It felt something was wrong and it was afraid."

Gerard frowned. "It tries to warn us." He rose to his feet, pulling Frank up with him. "The first time I remember was right before our first encounter with the Force."

Frank kept his eyes on the ground. He brought a hand up to his cheek, further confusion lacing his expression when he felt more of the tears that had fallen. "I don't understand."

"What do you mean?" Gerard wanted to focus on Frank, but he couldn't help but look back at the sky behind them. There was still a distance between their current position and the smoke, but the smoke had appeared to be steadily creeping onward.

"I don't understand any of this." Frank brought his hands up to cover his eyes. His breaths seemed to catch as he took shorter breaths and stepped back. Gerard reached out to him, but his magic pulled his arm back. His magic urged him to step further away as Frank shook his head. "I've never felt any of this before. I've never had any of-of these feelings or-or so much missing!"

As he spoke, the dark tear streaks under Frank's eyes began to drip. Black tears fell to the ground, leaving dark stains in the dirt where they landed. Gerard's magic pulled him back a step as Frank sunk down to his knees.