When the doors to the landing bay opened, Frank could only hope his face didn't turn white. It was packed with force soldiers of all ranks. It was like a swarm of insects on leftover rations.

"Fuck." The words had barely left his mouth before Gerard was yanking him back into the hall. The door slide shut and Frank turned to him. "What are you doing?"

"What am I doing?" Gerard repeated, "What, did you really expect me to waltz in with you without a plan after seeing that!?" He pulled away from Frank while making sure to keep the small blade on him. "We need to strategize."

"How?" Frank hissed, "I'm not even permitted access there if there wasn't a security threat!" He gestured to Gerard, "How are we supposed to sneak to a vehicle?"

Gerard opened his mouth to speak but, before he could, the door behind them reopened. A force soldier stepped out glaring between them as the door closed. "Problem, boys?" He questioned in a low tone. "Quite a quick in and out you did, if you can call it that."

"No, sir." Frank keep his face lowered, hoping not to be recognized. "Just got a bit turned around with everything going on."

"Quite an easy thing to do." Gerard added, his voice sounding strange as he spoke. "Isn't it?"

There was no response. Frank tilted his head to shift his gaze to Gerard. His eyes had that pinkish glow to them again. "Feeling up to answering?" He asked, attention focused on the soldier.

Frank lifted his head and followed Gerard's gaze. The soldier stood as if he was hung on loose strings. His mouth hung open, allowing a small trail of drool to run down to his chin. His eyes were glazed over with a pink haze similar to Gerard's.

"What the fuck." Frank took a step back from the soldier. "What are you doing to him?"

"Sending our friend about his day as if he never met us." Gerard spoke in the layered voice again, sending a chill down Frank's spine. Had Gerard done something like this to him?

"Go to the bathroom or something and take your sweet time doing it." Gerard instructed. His layered voices sounded strained.

The haze suddenly vanished from the soldier's eyes. He stood at attention and nodded. Without a word, he marched forward. He didn't even seem to notice when he bumped into both Gerard and Frank.

"What was that!?" Frank spun to face Gerard, who was sweating profusely. "You can control people!?"

"Just a bit of... Manipulation." Gerard panted. His voice was back to normal, but he was out of breath. "It's difficult, so I can't do it much."

Frank stepped back. "Why didn't you do that to me?"

Gerard rolled his eyes. "I just said it is difficult. My focus can't be everywhere. That requires a lot of energy and magic. Magic that was hidden from me for awhile thanks to you."

Frank averted his gaze. Guilt squeezed his gut from what he had done. Despite it being for the good of the force, he couldn't unsee the invisible red that stained his fingers.

A pain suddenly spread from Frank's chest, causing him to cry out. He clutched his shirt right over the spot on his chest as he dropped to his knees. It was as if something completely speared its way through him. His breath caught as the pain continued to spread.

"Frank?"

Frank was vaugly aware of Gerard's voice, but his vision was blurring from the pain. There was a red blur just in front of him he thought may have been Gerard.

"Frank, can you hear me?"

There was a grip on his shoulder and, as suddenly as it struck, the pain was gone. Frank couldn't stop himself from falling forward into Gerard.