The world was orange.

At least, the world around the compound was orange. Frank never saw much beyond that. He assumed the whole planet to look similar.

Orange.

Rocky.

Devoid of life.

However, he knew better than to believe no life existed outside of the compound. The force would occasionally bring people from beyond where Frank's vision ended. Those allowed that far, at least.

The people brought in were always taken to the lower level cells. Frank could never sneak a good look at them. Despite his best efforts, they were always kept hidden in some way. Frank didn't have the clearance to be front and center.

If he closed his eyes, however, he could almost picture the life beyond the rocky orange. He could feel the whisper of the air calling to him and hear the sounds of creatures he had never seen before.

"Force soldier."

Frank was pulled from his thoughts at the familiar voice and steps approaching behind him. He turned to see a figure walking up to him through the shadows. Immediately, Frank brought his heels together and crossed his left arm over his chest. He squeezed his hand into a fist.

"Force captain." He responded, standing straight as the figure stepped up to him.

A chuckle met Frank's stuff stature. "At ease, son."

Frank relaxed, dropping his salute. His father wore a small smile on his face as he stepped into the light. His uniform was a deep red, signifying his high position in the command ranking. Captain was one of the most respected positions in the force. It was the highest at the outpost and within the top four in the chain of command.

Frank's father had held the position for as long as he could remember. He was an intimidating figure both as a father and as a captain.

"To what do I owe the surprise?" Frank asked, bringing his hands behind his back and holding his wrists. He flexed his fingers as if to shake off the colorful visions he had been imagining. It made him nervous to even think about anything beyond the compound's sight around his father.

The Force Captain looked down at him. Despite Frank being nearly twenty, he and his father couldn't look eye to eye. His father had always claimed he inherited his mother's height.

"Have all of your tasks been accomplished, or are you wasting time gazing out into the zone?" His father questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Frank nodded. Each soldier was given a list of tasks, as dictated by their squadron leader, to complete by the end of the day. "My checklist complete. I've cleaned the bunker, wiped down the mirrors and windows, and emptied the squadron waste bins."

"Good lad." His father nodded with approval. "Seems that Squadron Leader Toro is keeping you busy."

"Yes, sir." Frank agreed. However, he didn't mention that his squadron leader had let him off easy because they were friends. Otherwise he would have been stuck with a toilet brush in one hand and high powered cleaning solution in the other.

"I'm glad you're free." His father continued, "I have something rather interesting that I would like you to see."

Frank cocked his head with curiosity, but his father said nothing. Instead, he beckoned him forward before turning on his heel and moving back into the shadows of the hall. Frank obediently followed, keeping in step with the Captain.

They moved in silence down the halls, footsteps in perfect sync. Frank held his head high, trying to look impressive rather than intimidated by the unknown he was venting into. He didn't usually see his father so early in the day, unless they were both in the canteen getting meal rations at the same time. It was unusual for the Captain to seek Frank out.