Keeping Hope

"Hey, Ying. Can we talk?"

Let it be said that Ying didn't expect this at all. She should have, sure.

Still.

At least Ying had the luxury to chill in her and Yaya's room. The boys and girls are separated, with their guardians Papa Zola and Ochobot watching over the respective groups, and the pillows are seriously so fluffy! Like, why!

This planet is literally volcano-themed, why do they have fluffy pillows??

No wonder Air fell asleep instantly upon contact.

Then again, Air can fall asleep anywhere, so it isn't that surprising.

This place is really just like a fancy hotel, just on another planet. With attendants that clean the rooms for you, room service if you push that button over there, and even the food is delicious! But only if you get over the appearance...the people here really don't have any skill in dish presentation, sheesh.

Ying's been here twice now, thanks to being from the old timeline. This place on planet Velvillon is so homely. Ying still wants to stay here forever.

Why can't they stay here forever?

Wouldn't that be nice? She had mused, tracing the molten lines on the walls with her hand while lying down on one of the two circular beds in this room. If we decide to live here as civilians, stop being superheroes, then maybe...maybe I wouldn't have to lose everything.

Sure, Ying loved being a superhero. Saving the galaxy, getting to travel to different planets, and seeing sights other humans will never get to see...

But she'd gladly give that all up, if that's what it takes to save her friends. Her family.

Wouldn't that be nice?

--and then a knock at the door interrupted her thoughts, followed by that question.

A simple turn of her head was all it took to find who asked her that. Hazel brown eyes gazed at her from the doorway, the newcomer wearing a red shirt under a comfortable hoodie jacket the color of bronze.

Tanah didn't look like he'd take no for an answer right now.

And Ying was nervous. She blurts out a lot of stuff, okay? Especially when she's scared and freaked out and trying to make sense of everything...

"What did you mean, earlier? When you said if you also died?"

Yaya had already confronted her about what she said yesterday. If Tanah's doing the same--

"Zuteus. You know this person, right?"

Ying bit her lip. Tanah is doing the same thing Yaya did. But... "Can you let this go? For now?"

She first needs to--to make sure. That she can change things. If she tells anything before she can be sure...

Tanah shook his head. "I can't. I need to make sure if he's a friend or a foe. Which one is he, Ying?"

In all the years Ying has known him, Tanah is protective and cautious as much as he's caring and nurturing, especially after the whole mess with Retak'ka. This meant he wouldn't stop until he confirms the team's safety, until he gets an acceptable answer--so, the time manipulation user has to give a reply.

And--

Zuteus is...at the very end, he's a friend. Even if only for Tanah, he--he helped them. But at this point, Ying doesn't--she doesn't know. It wasn't like she was there in the old timeline when Tanah first met the guy.