Chapter 1

"This shit is intimidating," Kaci sighed from beside me. She squirted water in her mouth while I turned back to the fights in front of me. I shrugged for a response. "Wouldn't you say? You can't tell me you're not just a little bit terrified right now."

I chuckled softly. "Okay, okay. A tiny piece of me is. I just hate how everyone is watching. If it was just the opponent and me, then I'd be fine."

This time she shrugged, and we continued watching as two people punched and kicked each other. A couple minutes later it was over, and Four was calling out two other names.

"Alright. Next fight, Michael and Dove."

I grunted, glancing at Kaci when my name was called. It wasn't only the fight, I absolutely hate Michael. This guy is amazing, but he is way too cocky for his own good.

I stepped up onto the stage, pursing my lips as I stared into Michael's green eyes. He was wearing a devilish smirk because he basically already knew he would win. I wasn't exactly the strongest here, and everyone knew it.

I swallowed, taking a small step back. He lunged forward, his fist swinging up, but I dodged it so he just lightly skimmed the top of my head. My eyes were wide now, and we circled each other before I took a step forward and tried to punch him in the stomach. He was able to block it and grab my arm, then he threw me down onto the mat.

I cringed when I landed down hard. One hand was pulling on my hair roughly, and the other was behind him. I kicked him hard, making him grown and lighten his grip a little on my hair. I got a punch right on his cheekbone, but before I knew it he had me pinned again and I was receiving multiple blows to my face.

"Stop," I coughed out helplessly. I knew those pleads weren't going to help because Dauntless had a no conceding rule.

"Okay, that's enough," I heard a voice say that sounded a lot like Eric. Confused thoughts ran through my head considering he's ruthless and won't let a fight stop unless the other person is basically unconscious.

"What?" Michael laughed, getting off me. "I could've killed that bitch."

"That's enough," Eric said more firmly this time.

I sat up slowly, looking around me. My vision wasn't the best at the moment, but I was able to stagger to the side of the stage. Eric reached a hand out for me to help me off. I took it and stepped down.

"Thanks," I said quietly.

Eric didn't say anything, he just nodded.

I walked over to a pillar and sat down next to it. My head was throbbing, and I could still feel the blood trickling out of my nose.

"Want me to take you to the infirmary?" Eric asked when he was down by my level. I shook my head. "You sure? You're pretty banged up. At least go to get another towel for your nose."

Again, I shook my head. "I don't need to go."

Eric kept staring at me, not saying anything or showing any emotion. "Let me take you."

I finally looked up at him. His hair was perfectly styled to the side, his dark piercings on his eyebrow were contrasting to his eyes, and his jaw was clenched tightly as he waited for my answer.

"Whatever," I sighed. I didn't want to go; it made me look weak.

Eric helped me stand to my feet, and I became extremely dizzy with the first step I took. Eric reached quickly for me and held me by having his arm wrapped tightly around my shoulder.

We made it to the infirmary and a lady had given me a couple towels for my bleeding nose and some pills to help my aching headache. I would have bruising on my cheek and knuckles, but there was nothing she could do to help me with that.