Chapter 21

A month later

"You're not hungry?" Kaci questioned with her eyebrows furrowed down.

I shrugged. "Not really. Just don't have an appetite or anything. I ate breakfast though, so it's fine."

She eyed me up, as well as Britt. "You're not sick are you?" She asked.

"I hope not," I laughed. "Are you going to the bar tonight?"

The girls said maybe, and we chatted as we all finished lunch. I worked in a couple hours and my plans for the night were yet to be determined. If they went out, I probably would too. Or, as most nights were spent, I'd go over to Eric's.

I walked through the halls up to my apartment. They were empty with most people working, and I enjoyed the silence. In Dauntless there isn't much for peace and quiet. I still found myself trying to get used to the loudness.

"Hello."

I spun around, eyeing up whoever decided to trail behind me secretly. Evander smiled, holding out his arms.

"Come on, don't be scared. It's just me." I didn't say anything, just opened up my hands I didn't realize I had clenched. "You seem to really be nervous. Is there a reason to that?"

I eyed him up suspiciously, carefully finding words. I shook my head. "No. If you don't mind, I need to get ready for work."

"Of course." He held his hands up and took a step back. "Don't want to make you late or anything." I gave him a small, forced smile and turned around to keep walking. "Dove," he called out, making me extremely frustrated, but I faced him again so I wouldn't set him off by ignoring him. Evander stared at me a few moments before whispering, loud enough for me to hear, "I find out everything."

***

Evander's words had set me off all day. I find out everything? What does that even mean? The first and scariest thought was of course my divergence. Then maybe he meant the information only leaders are supposed to know. With his growing suspicion I didn't want to ask what exactly he'll find out or at least try to find out.

I feel like he has connections and powers that we don't know about. He seems innocent at first glance, but who really knows what he can do. The best thing for me to do is ignore his comment and try to let it go. It's just Evander with his manipulative ways.

I opened the apartment door, suddenly becoming nauseous from a strong scent of cinnamon. I groaned, setting my bag down on the counter and covering my nose.

"What are you making?" I asked Kaci, who was stirring something.

She looked up at me. "Cinnamon muffins. What's the problem?"

I shook my head, my face crinkled up in disgust. I wasn't sure why all of a sudden the smell was making me nauseous. I opened my mouth to say something, but instead I found myself running to the bathroom.

I rinsed my mouth out after emptying my stomach. The sour taste in my mouth remained. I walked back to the kitchen, pinching my nose to hopefully block the smell.

Kaci stared at me like I had two heads. "Are you sure you're not sick? I mean, you don't usually throw up randomly."

I wasn't sure why all of a sudden I was super sensitive at the smell of cinnamon, so instead I changed the topic. "Why are into cooking these days?"

Kaci got the hint I didn't want to talk about it anymore. She turned her back to me as she put the batter in the oven. "Morgan likes it. And I found out I like cooking, so it works out."

I giggled. "Morgan likes it," I teased.

She sighed and faced me again, her hands on her hips and she looked like my mom. "You know, I'm just concerned for you," she said, and I rolled my eyes. "Maybe you should go to the doctor." I assured her I was fine, but she didn't listen. "Even if it's just the flu or something, I don't know. They could give you medicine and it would be fine."

I groaned. "Fine. I'll go down right now and see if they can check me out."

She cheered. "I hope nothing's wrong with you!"

I glared at her as I slipped my jacket on and shut the door behind me. I get it, it looked like I was sick, and if it were her or Britt I'd be equally as worried. The thing is, I felt fine, besides the vomiting. I didn't have a cold, or a headache, or was tired. I felt like myself.

I took my time walking down to the infirmary. Each slow step was small and I drug my hand on the stone wall as I went. Every so often a sharp edge would pierce my skin and I would wonder why no one would smooth the wall out.

The infirmary was quiet besides a couple people laying in beds with arms wrapped up. They probably got cut or something.

A nurse walked up to me quickly with a bright smile on her face. "What can I help you with?"

"Uh," I hesitated, thinking about what to say. "I've been feeling nauseous, and I threw up earlier. I'm just wondering if I could be sick?" What do I say when I'm not even sure what's wrong with me?

"Okay," she said and ushered me down a hall and to a room. "The doctor will be in to see you soon, and other tests will may be preformed if needed."

I gave her a small smile as she exited and shut the door. I sighed, sliding down in the chair and looking at my non-painted nails. I didn't want to be here. Nothing was wrong with me.

Within a few minutes there was a knock and the door opened. A lady smiled at me and sat down, typing something into a computer.

"Dove?"

I shifted in my seat. "Um, yeah. How'd you know my name?"

She grinned. "Sorry. You're with Eric, that's how."

I nodded and pursed my lips, tapping my fingers on my thighs. I hoped she wouldn't leak any information out and make Eric worried. Neither he nor I needed that.

"Okay, so I think I'm going to start off with a simple blood test. Just to see everything. If it's normal then I will preform other examinations."

She drew my blood, which I did not enjoy, and left the room to do some tests on it. I did not like the silence I was left with. The cold grey walls and simply all the thoughts in my head were not comfortable.

A while later she came back, marking some things on a clipboard which made me nervous.

But when she looked up she smiled. "Everything seems to be fine," she said. "But, you do know you're pregnant, right?"

My mouth fell open. "Huh?"

**********

AHHHHHH

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

please please pleeeeaassseee vote & comment! it makes me extremely happy to see your feedback!

Have a lovely day,
Payton