Chapter 10

"Hey, Four?" I asked when we were finished with going through my simulation. I didn't need Four with me in my sim to tell me what to do. I thought I was pretty prepared, but Four wanted to make sure I wasn't going to slip up in any way. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," he said, sounding distant as he shuffled papers around. His back was facing me.

"So you're Divergent..."

He glanced at me quickly, but continued to randomly move papers around. He didn't answer me for a fairly long time, and I was almost sure he wasn't going to at all. "Yes," he finally said, answering like it was obvious. I guess I did already ask him that, but that was not my question.

"How have you never gotten caught and killed?"

He sighed, turning around to face me as he leaned against the counter. He stared at me without answering. Apparently he liked to keep me waiting and squirming. "Because I was good at hiding it."

I nodded my head and looked around awkwardly. I wasn't sure what I was expecting for him to say, but I wish he would've assured me that I would be able to hide it.

"Was the girl who died in the Chasm Divergent?" I questioned, leaning forward again. I didn't know why I asked that, but it had been bothering me since it happened and people talked about it. I figured Four would probably know.

He sucked in a breath and turned around again. "You should get back to the accommodation before it gets too late."

I sighed and hopped off the chair. "Thanks, Four," I said before opening the door and leaving where we trained. I walked down the halls, my footsteps echoing with every step I took. I had no idea what time it was, but apparently it was pretty late because no one was there.

"I'll see you later," the voice I knew so well said. I saw two figures in front of me. I squeaked and quickly turned to another hall. I pressed my back to the wall, praying that no one would spot me. I heard the giant footsteps getting closer to me, and I held my breath, closing my eyes. I heard something drop right next to me. "Shit," Eric cursed. "Dove?" He said a few seconds later. I opened my eyes to see him still bent down, picking up a knife. I had no idea why he would have that with him.

I gave him a forced smile. "Hi, Eric."

His eyebrows furrowed together as he slowly stood up. He eyed me curiously. "What are you doing? You should be asleep."

"I couldn't sleep," I easily lied. "I went for a walk."

Eric stepped closer, still staring at me. I knew immediately that he didn't believe my lie. I felt so uncomfortable under his gaze, so I looked away, but he grasped my chin and made me look at him. "You were with Four, weren't you?" He growled.

"No!" I insisted. "How many times do I have to tell you that Four and I are absolutely not together?" I screeched, flailing my arms around for good measure.

He kept staring at me with those blue eyes of his. I couldn't take it. I wasn't sure if he was mad or upset or what. "Good," he breathed out, taking the one step to me and grabbing the back of my head to force his lips on mine.

I shouldn't say it was forced because in all honesty, I wanted him. Bad. Every time he kissed me it was like he was assuring himself, and me, that he'd be the only to ever kiss me. It was so unreal what I felt when we touched.

He pulled away, gradually. He was breathing heavily. "Come back to my apartment with me."

My eyes widened at the invitation. That was a big and scary step to take. I don't think I was ready for anything like that, and even though he didn't flat out say what we're going to do there, I could take a pretty good guess.