Chapter 18

A month later

Someone pounded on our door repeatedly, making me jump off the couch in a ready-to-attack position. Kaci looked behind her shoulder at me, seeming to be just as confused as I was. 'Go get it' I mouthed to her and pointed at the door. She narrowed her eyes at me, clearly not liking my plan, and then she took slow steps towards the door as more pounding continued. All of a sudden we could hear loud sobs.

Kaci now jogged the last few steps and flung the door open. Britt fell, sobbing hysterically into Kaci's chest. I was shocked because I didn't know if she was physically or mentally injured. Or both.

Kaci drug in the distressed girl and sat her down on the couch. Britt reached for a pillow and buried her face in it. Again, Kaci and I looked at each other, but this time my roommate pointed at Britt with a smirk on her face.

I sighed quietly then sat on the sofa next to her. "What's wrong?" I asked softly and hoped that she would calm down soon so she'd tell us. I could take a guess though.

She rose her head, opened her mouth like she was going to say something, but then another sob just came out and she dropped her head back on the pillow.

"Honey, you're gonna have to tell us," Kaci said almost sternly. Apparently, that seemed to work better than being all nice and comforting.

Britt groaned and mumbled into the pillow. Kaci ripped it out from under her, and Britt now was crouched over into her lap. "JJ cheated on me." It was very quiet but audible.

My eyes widened, and I wasn't sure what to say, but luckily Kaci knew.

"That dick!" She screeched. "You kicked him out, didn't you?"

Britt moaned, glancing from between us, a very uncertain look on her face. "Can I live here?"

It was only a two bedroom, but I didn't want to just leave her on the streets. I grabbed her hand and was about to speak but Kaci tugged me away from her. "Apartment meeting!" She declared. Once we were in the kitchen she whispered, "What are you thinking? We don't have room for three of us!"

"I know, but you're gone for two weeks at a time, and she can just sleep in your bed. Then when you're here I'll just stay at Eric's and she can have my bed. Or she can sleep on the couch." I thought my proposal was fairly decent. Plus, I wouldn't mind if I had to sleep on the couch once in a while.

Kaci crossed her arms over her chest. "I feel really bad for her. I knew JJ would do something!" Her voice was surprisingly quiet.

Deep down, I knew JJ would do something like this too. He was nice and everything, but we also didn't know him too well. It's just crazy.

Sighing, Kaci finally caved. "She can stay with us. I love her and we need to support her while she's sad. And kick JJ's ass."

I hid my laugh with my hand. I can only imagine how hard Kaci is going to beat him. We walked back to Britt, who had taken back the pillow and had her face stuffed in it again.

"You can live with us," I said. "If you want, you take my room tonight. I don't mind."

She lifted up her head. Her eyes were bright red and cheeks were stained with tears. "Really?" She croaked out. I nodded, and she jumped out, grabbing both Kaci and me into a hug. "Thank you so much," she breathed out. I could feel her tears soaking my hair.

"Yeah you're welcome," Kaci mumbled. "Now where's JJ so I can kill him?" I realized that she wasn't mad at Britt for wanting to stay here, she's definitely mad at JJ for doing this to her.

"You can't kill him," Britt whined.

"What do you mean 'I can't kill him'?" Kaci questioned. Her eyes were ablaze and I wouldn't want to upset her right now. "I will most definitely rip off his balls and make him eat them."