Chapter 7

"People say she was Divergent, ya know," Morgan stated, making most of our attention turn to him. Basically all of the transfer initiates were huddled around as we talked about what had happened last night.

It was the middle of the day, but there was nothing else for us to do since simulations were cancelled. Apparently that girl's dad was very important in the whole initiation simulation training, so Dauntless cancelled the training so he could have time with his family.

"Divergent?" I asked. "Those are just myths though, aren't they?"

I wasn't exactly sure what a Divergent even was. I didn't understand them.

"I've never met one." Morgan shrugged. Some people continued talking about it, but I really just wanted to know what they are. I was intrigued to know, but if I said anything they'd assume I was Divergent or something.

"Do you know why they kill Divergents?" I asked Britt quietly.

"No idea," she responded. "But, I remember hearing them say they were threats. I'm not exactly sure how though."

It seemed that nobody really knew information on these people. But I knew who would.

I was lucky enough to find Eric walking in the halls pretty much right away. I hoped he wasn't in a rush to go somewhere.

"Can I talk to you?" I asked frantically, gripping his arm so I could get him to stop walking.

He looked around before nodding. "Follow me."

We went up a handful of flights of stairs before going down a rocky hallway that was surprising lit up with blue lights. He stopped, unlocked a door, then tugged me in.

"I don't want people to get the wrong idea," Eric said after he shut and locked the door. He seemed to read the confused expression on my face well.

I glanced around at his apartment. It was fairly plain. The kitchen was on the left, couches and chairs were beyond the kitchen, and then a room I assumed was most likely his bedroom. There was another door by the bedroom, which was open and I could see the shower and toilet.

"So what do you need?" He questioned in a bored tone, heading towards the couch. I followed him and sat a good distance away from him.

The couch was black leather and very smooth. I ran my hands over it before replying. "So what do you know about Divergents?" I asked casually.

It apparently was not a casual question because he froze and glared at me. "Why do you want to know?"

I shrugged. "Honestly, I just want to know what they are."

"You want to know what they are?" He asked. This whole conversation seemed to be one big question with absolutely no answers. "They're a threat to our system." I began running my hands over the smooth material again. "Why?"

I ignored his question and kept touching the leather.

He grabbed my hand and squeezed it so tight I thought it would break. "Why?" He repeated.

"No reason," I squeaked out. He started to free my hand from his crazy grip, but now he was holding it gently. His eyes softened as we gazed at each other, but in a second they were hard again.

"If you know anyone that is Divergent you must tell the leaders immediately."

I nodded my head a little. "Okay," I whispered.

Eric's eyes softened once again, and his hold on my hand tightened, but it wasn't painful this time. He scooted an inch closer, and with his free hand he moved a piece of my hair away from my face and cupped my cheek.