Walk The Line of Good Inentions

Another sleepless weekend left me an exhausted mess Monday morning. My parents had fought all of Friday night and early into Saturday morning. The little sleep I managed to catch was plagued by nightmares that had me waking up in cold sweats, shaking despite it being unnaturally hot in my bedroom. I was able to crash at the Waters' Saturday night, but I'd tossed and turned all night and been out the door before Mrs. Waters could talk me into joining them for Church.

Insomnia had been my friend for the last six months. When it wasn't night terrors keeping me up in the latest hours of the night, it was my thoughts, so overwhelming that they felt like a heavy weight on my chest, suffocating me

"I can't believe Homecoming is Friday." Brianna spoke for the first time since walking into school, running a hand through her straightened hair. "I can't believe I actually have a date to Homecoming!"

Bryan, who looked to be as irritable as me do to our lack of coffee this morning, sneered at the exclamation. "He touches you the wrong way I'll break every bone in his body."

"Bry," Brianna shot him a cold glare. "you don't have to be so dramatic all the damn time. You act like Reese and I can't handle ourselves. We're seventeen, not seven."

The twins exchanged a look that even made me recede and head for my locker down the hallway. I had only been caught in the crossfire of their arguments once, but it was enough of a lesson for me to never attempt to play middleman again. It had been over something so petty I couldn't even recall it if I tried, but had nearly ended eleven years of friendship with Bryan. He had wanted so desperately for me to side with him and I didn't. It had left us with a very emotionless Bryan for a large majority of sixth grade.

"Hey, Reese!" Liam's call cut the little but of sanity I was holding on to. There was no way in hell I was in any mood to deal with him today. "Well, you look like shit."

I slammed my locker a little harder than needed and turned around to face him. Brianna and Bryan had wandered over to me and were staring at the jock just as curiously.

"Do you need something?" I questioned through a yawn. "You already forget about the second play?"

He grinned, eyes glistening. He had way too much energy for seven thirty in the morning. I need some of whatever it was that he ate to make him so alert and hyped this early.

"Actually, that's why I'm over here. Your little play said I should be a normal student for a week." I knew by the direction the conversation was going that I wouldn't like what he was about to say next. "And I thought, who's more average then Reese and her friends?"

Ouch.

I clenched my hand into a tight fist at my side and tried to remain neutral. "Funny coming from someone that said I wasn't a nobody Friday afternoon."

"You're not a nobody." He shook his head, a strand of his dark hair falling into his eye. "But you are average. It's not an insult, Reese."

Maybe not to you. It would hardly put a dent in your ego.

"So you think hanging with us is going to help you get through this week?" Bryan said when I didn't respond. Liam, who for whatever God forsaken reason seemed to hate my best friend, grew tense beside me.

"Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. So how about it, Reese?"

I didn't have to look up to know all three pairs of eyes were on me expectantly. Unfurling my fist, I nodded curtly, and without meeting any of their curious eyes said, "Yeah, sure. It'll help me keep better tabs on you."

How To Play the Player  (COMPLETED)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें