Running In Circles

"Can I talk to you?"

My eyes widened in surprise moments before I actually lifted my head and looked at Nicola. She was in a tight red shirt, a couple shades darker than her hair, and a pair of stressed jeans. Somehow she still managed to look like she'd walked right out of a modeling catalog. There was a sincerity in her voice and eyes, one that actually had me considering talking to her.

"Why?" was what I eventually retorted, eyeing her cautiously .

She didn't give me a chance to figure out what she was doing before she grasped my wrist and dragged me toward the staircase. It, as well as the back door, were taped off with DO NOT ENTER signs strung loosely from the yellow tape. It'd been that way for as long as Liam had been throwing parties, everyone knew to keep it in the front yard, living room, and kitchen. Once we reached the top of the stairs, she pushed opened a door and ushered me in.

I had no doubt this was Liam's bedroom or that she had been in it before.

Tom Brady and Eli Manning posters were hung over his bed, opposite of a small oak trophy case lined with a dozen trophies, ranging from the small participation ones they give us in grade school to the state championship the boys had won our Sophomore year. His bed, like everything else in his room, was lined with football. His sheet was a navy blue with mini footballs stitched in throughout. The throw was of New England Patriots logo; his pillow cases matched.

"I want to know what its like." Nicola's voice was a hushed whisper, but with how silent the room was, it sounded as if she'd shouted it.

"What?"

"Being used by one guy and manipulated by another." She said with a sneer, eyes trained on the fresh coat of paint that lined her acrylics. "Such a shame too, because you're actually really pretty. You're just kind of a bitch."

I snorted. "Get out, Nic."

"No. I really do want to know what its like to think the two most desired boys in school are lusting after you."

I felt my hand clenched into a fist at my side. "It feels great."

"You don't have to pretend to be all high and mighty around me, Reesey. We used to be friends, remember? Before Raya died. I used to do everything with you and Brianna." She rose to her feet, her heels giving her a few inches on me. "I know that little tough girl act is bullshit."

I laughed without any emotion. "I know you put Jay up to asking me out and I don't care, Nicola. But don't you ever say my sister's name."

"Liam doesn't want you either, sweetheart." She was so close now that when she point accusingly at me her nails dug hard into my chest. "He just needs a distraction. That's all you are. A pretty little toy for him to play with until he gets bored."

I stared at her for a minute, my arms crossing over my chest. "Does it ever get tiring?"

"What?" she asked, confused.

"Pretending to be such a heartless bitch." I clarified. "Just like you know my tough girl crap is an act, I know all of this, whatever it is you're trying to do, is too, Nicola. You think more people will like you this way, but you're just pushing them further away."

Her face flushed of color. "You don't know what you're talking about, Reese. You are going to end up heartbroken and then you'll feel half of what I do."

"What are you talking about?"

"You were my best friend, Reese. Maybe I was never yours, but you were the one who welcomed me with open arms when I moved here in second grade. But I started to realize that you got it all without even trying. You had the perfect family. I liked Bryan too, you know, but he never even batted an eye in my direction. It was always about you. All the boys in school wrote you cute Valentines, they all loved you and you didn't even care." She threw her hands up and touched her cheeks before tears could escape her eyes and smear her makeup. "Then high school came and with it I got boobs and an ass. Guys were starting to notice me, so I decided that it was my turn. But nobody cared about me unless I was being a bitch. I wasn't like you. People didn't just love me."