Idiots Anonymous

"Why the hell is it so cold?" Brianna groaned beside me, hugging her arms around herself, "It's not even October yet."

I offered a nod in agreement, but didn't say anything. At least she'd had enough intelligence to put on a long sleeve under the jersey Andy had given her to sport while she was cheering him on. I was sitting in Jay's, but had rushed out of the house so quickly that I'd not only forgotten to grab something to wear under the jersey but a jacket as well. Bryan had mentioned he'd be stopping by, but would be late because of work, so I didn't even have him to act as my own little heater as I usually did. It was coming to a point where I needed to glue a sticky note to my forehead reminding me to grab a jacket every time I left the house.

"Andy!" Brianna jumped off the second to last bleacher and hurried to her boyfriend as the boys made their way to the locker room. I was a little slower to joining her, watching from afar as she hugged Andrew, his dark eyes glistening. They were perfect; the Golden couple for sure. I hate that it took this long for me to try and push them out of their comfort zones so they got together.

"Hey, Reese!" I was engulfed in a hug before I could say anything, my eyes still on Andy and my friend. I swallowed and pulled back from Jay, taking in his black and red uniform. They looked a couple sizes too big against his slender frame, but he didn't seem to care, and the confidence that he exuded made you feel as though they were the perfect fit. "You look great!"

I glanced down at the jersey with a weak smile, surprised he couldn't see how red my fingertips and shoulders were. But he didn't seem to really be paying attention to me, but to his own jersey on me. Before I could get a word in, the wide receiver, Trey or something I think, shoved Jay and he winked before roughhousing with his teammate across the field. When I looked back to Andy and Brianna, Liam had appeared out of thin air and was grinning down at my friend, intently listening to whatever it was she was saying. As if they could feel my eyes on them, Liam shifted his duffel bag on his shoulder and Andy frowned.

"You're cold." Liam said quietly, not a question, but a statement. Brianna and Andy looked worried, but neither of them added or contradicted it.

"I'm a little anemic." I answered passively. "I just get colder easier than most people."

Brianna laughed, and added, "She usually bums a jacket off Bry, but he had work and she forgot her jacket when we picked her up."

Liam nodded and unzipped his bag, pulling his Letterman from it. Andy immediately slapped a hand against his best friend's broad chest before he could take a step forward. Liam dropped his head so he was staring at his friend's hand clutching a fistful of black and red fabric in his hands.

"What are you doing, bro?" Andy asked.

Liam picked his friend's hand up by the wrist and dropped it so it fell back to Andy's side limply. "She's shivering and her entire body is red from the cold, Andy. She needs a jacket."

"Yes." Andy responded with a nod, putting an emphasis on every word that left his mouth. "Her boyfriend's jacket."

The words sat in the air for a while. I hadn't really considered the thought of Jay being my boyfriend; we'd been on one date and I was at our school's Homecoming game. There was no official label, at least I hadn't thought so. Then again, I was kind of new to the whole dating scene.

"Clearly he was being a self-absorbed dick and didn't even think to give her his. I don't care what it signifies, Andy. Nobody will even be paying attention to one girl in the crowd."

Andy stares at Liam for a couple seconds before he backs away with his hands up in surrender and lets Liam pass by, closing the distance to where I was standing. He smiled weakly as he wrapped his jacket around me. Then, he leaned down and said, "Don't worry, I'll get on his ass for you, okay?"