Sorry Not Sorry

"I wish I was half as pretty as you are." Brianna whined quietly, dropping a warm strand of straightened hair so the warmth brushed against my neck. I very rarely did anything to my hair or face, and when I did, it was after being coaxed by Bri for hours. Before Raya had passed, we'd done it every weekend. Raya was go buy expensive makeup in all three shades for each of us girls and we'd sit around the room giving one another make over as we talked about boys and stuffed our faces with chocolate. Brianna had tried a few times since, but it never felt the same with just the two of us and we both just ended up crying ourselves to sleep.

"Oh, Bri, you're gorgeous." I responded, catching her eye as she grabbed my bangs between her index and middle finger. "Like, you look like a whole goddess right now."

She really did. She was wearing a glittery sea green gown that was so form fitting that it gave her curves even I hadn't knew existed and gave everyone a clear few of her long legs. She'd sat in front of the mirror all afternoon doing her makeup, highlighting her hazel eyes with a dark green and thick coats of mascara and eyeliner. She looked like a live version of Tiana from Disney's The Princess and The Frog.

"Pfft, okay." She rolled her eyes as she unplugged the hair straightener from the bathroom wall and set it on the sink. "So, what's up with Liam. Bryan let it slip that you were in his house when he picked you up last night."

I made a mental note to smack Bryan upside the head as I stood, stretching my arms over my head. I'd been in that chair for the last three hours without being able to move as much as an inch; I was honestly surprised my legs didn't give out the moment I stood. Especially since I'd let Brianna talk me into wearing heels. Reese Taylor attempting to walk in heels was a sight for sore eyes, so much so that it'd only been seen once before. The night of Winter Formal Freshman year.

"Bri, I thought Mom—" Bryan saved swooped in and saved me before Brianna could try and pry any more out of me. He was wearing a black tux, but his tie was a pale blue, a huge contrast against the black. I hadn't heard if he'd asked anyone to Homecoming, and he hadn't mentioned it, but the thought of him riding solo made my heart hurt. It'd always been the three of us, dateless, having the time of our lives at these dances. "You look great, Reese."

I dropped my gaze down to the floor length black dress I was trying not to step on the back of as I crossed the room to fix his tie around his neck. I smiled in return, but Brianna cleared her throat obnoxiously loud, clicking her heel against the hard bathroom tile. Bryan got the hint and bowed in his sister's direction with a lopsided grin.

"You look stunning as well, Queen Bri."

*

The very idea of coming to the Homecoming dance with Jay should have been a red flag. He was on the team and this dance was celebrating exactly that, the team's return and win. He had danced with me for about ten minutes before he dispersed into the crowd of well dressed teenagers that encased us. He'd tried to offer that I join him, but my feet were already throbbing and the idea of walking unnecessarily made me want to throw up. Bryan had promised to dance with me before the end of the night, but him dancing with Shay in the midst of the crowd had been the highlight of the night. She looked gorgeous in the lengthy white dress, her hair done up in a French braid that had been twisted so it look like a crown on her head. She had been smiling since Bryan approached. This big, beautiful smile that made her eyes twinkle and her nose scrunch up in a way I'd never seen it. She liked my best friend and she was everything he could have ever asked for. It made my heart so full seeing Bryan looking so happy; he'd spent years putting me first and his own feelings on the back burner that it was about time he allowed himself to feel.