Adrenaline High

As expected, Liam avoided me for the next couple weeks. He was still finishing the last Play; complimenting every girl he would cross in the hall or in class, but refused to even glance in my direction for an extended period of time. Andy had tried to excuse his best friend's actions as it being over Annie passing, which I'd agreed with, but part of me was sure it was because he tif we let our emotions take over. I couldn't blame him, because I felt very much the same about the entire thing, though it felt like a small piece of me was missing not communicating with Liam.

It wasn't until today, two weeks since the night in my bedroom, that I finally had enough of sitting at the same table. Despite Shay and Andy being incredibly friendly still, Nic and Jay made sure to shoot me dark and bitter looks throughout the entire lunch period. And Liam had began to just pretend I wasn't even here, not that he was treating anyone else any different. He was in his own little world and not even Andy could penetrate through. My friends had found their own little successful love stories within this little table, I would never make them choose between me and their love interests.

I stared at Liam for a moment longer before I stood and squeezed Brianna and Bryan's shoulders and walked out of the lunch room without a word.

*

The only place I had felt at ease over the last couple weeks was running around the football field. Despite it occasionally having a blanket of snow over it, I still ran. Maybe I was running to something, but it was more logical I was running away. Away from Liam and his avoidance of me. Away from my hurricane of confusing emotions.

"Hey, Reese!" My head whipped up to find Andy jogging in my direction in his Letterman, rubbing his hands together. "Not too bad, Taylor. Last I checked you could barely keep up with us walking."

I smiled but didn't say anything. This led him to cutting me off so I was forced to stop. "You know I'm your friend, right?"

"Of course, Andy."

"I love Bri and you're her best friend. She's really worried about you too, Reese. She thinks the whole reason you wrote up this Playbook was to distract you from your parents and what happened to Raya.."

I winced, struggling to catch my breath as if he'd punched me in the gut and knocked the wind out of me. He stared at me in sympathy before continuing.

"Losing Annie was rough on Liam, you of all people would understand what that's like." Andy said, shoulders slumping. "I know he's been pretty cold and distant lately, but please try and not give up on him. You and me, we're all he's got. I. . . I don't want to see what happens, what him spiral, if he loses you too."

I bowed my head. "I pretty much told him I was in love with him that night. The night Annie passed. And we kissed."

Andy didn't look surprised. "Yeah, he told me. He's confused. He's scared. He's just really broken right now. But what he is sure of is that he needs you, Reese. Hell, I need you too. You've made me a better person in the process of all of this."

"You've always been a good person, Andy. Don't say that."

After a moment of contemplation Andy stepped forward and pulled me into a hug. "I've got your back just as much as I have Liam's. I fully support whatever it is that you two decide to do, just try and not hurt me in the crossfire, 'kay?"

I nodded, desperately wanting to listen the mood. "You need a shower, Wilde."

Andy's dark eyes were shining with amusement when he pulled away.

"Touché Taylor."

*

Clearly my father didn't take Liam's threat to heart. As soon as I stepped foot through the front door I was met with him inches in front of my mother, looking ready to slap her. She had her back against the wall, her hands in front of her stomach, as if shielding the baby growing within her, afraid that my father would try to harm it in some way. Between my hurt from Liam's sudden cold shoulder and everything I'd talked to Andy about an hour ago, I was in no mood to stand and watch my father hurt my mother again.