PROLOGUE

Fourteen years ago...

"Da-ad!" called a young DartWing, readying his wings to fly up to the second level of their house. "Are you done work yet?"

     He received silence in return. That's odd, he usually calls back.

     Hawker flapped his four wings in sync, creating a small whirlwind around him. After his moult, it took a while to get used to using his tail to fly instead of swim. Water was kind of similar to air, except it was less thick and required more work for him to get anywhere. For him, the freedom and speed beat any downside.

     He shot up like a leaping fish, angling himself to land on the balcony. It wrapped around the house like all the others, built in such a way as to collect rainwater and create a pond. Dragonflies flitted about the reeds as Hawker hopped along the bridge and entered the second floor.

     Each level had only one room. That was why it was so easy to see the form of his dad huddled over his work desk. It was in the corner, leaving a large play area for the rest of the floor. Hawker crossed it, nudging his dad's dark purple and green tail.

     "Dad! Come on, Grandpa went home. Can we... have dinner?"

     His dad stared forward with a strange expression. He looked asleep, only his eyes were open. The silence sent chills up Hawker's spine and he was scared to get close. He stretched his neck up, trying to see more.

     Parchment was scattered all over the table. His dad lay across the very important documents without a care in the world, vacant eyes open and glassy. The pupils were so big that they nearly swallowed the blue irises.

     "...Dad?" Hawker reached a talon up to nudge his nose, but before he could touch him, he started to wake. He smiled. "Dad!"

     His dad didn't answer. Hawker shrunk back as he realized he was shaking – his dad, and him. Something rattled loudly and Hawker realized a goblet was curled in his dad's claws.

     "Dad, stop it!" he snapped, near hysterics, "this isn't funny!"

     The tremors decreased but were still present. He didn't move beyond that. Hawker sat, paralyzed, staring at his dad's limp form in fear.

     What do I do? What's wrong? He was all alone. Dazzling was out in the Market and Grandpa left- Grandpa! Get Grandpa! Hawker's long legs carried him out to the balcony in a flash. He jumped into the air before he even spread his wings. Flapping them so fast that they hummed, Hawker shot forward.

     The mountains of the Spires stretched out into infinity on either side of him. Hawker flew for a few seconds before he realized he had no idea where he was going.

     Maybe if I see him, I can catch up or shout for his attention!

     But when he flew higher, he couldn't see any better. Everything was too far away and his grandpa's yellow-green scales were nowhere to be seen.

     Now panic actually set in. Hawker's vision blurred with tears or the wind, he couldn't tell which as he swooped back towards his dad's house. He landed with a crash on the balcony but picked himself up and ran inside. His dad was still where he left him, unmoving.

     "What do I do!" he shrieked. No response. Hawker ran to his side and pushed him with all his might, hoping he should shake him awake.

     Nothing. For a second Hawker worried he'd hurt him, but as he climbed up to check his face, he noticed no change. If anything, his eyes were even blacker.