scene i.

Hi everyone!

I'm so sorry for the long wait but I had to focus on school and my portfolio. I would have posted this sooner if it wasn't so tough to edit. Two hard edits and a partial rewrite, both of this chapter AND of basically every aspect of the character dynamics before I even finished QFA... I think as I write, but this time it took be a while to settle. I needed to make sure everything made sense before I gave it to you. If there are any mistakes, that's because I've been staring at it all day and my brain can only catch so much...

One amazing thank you to my best friend OhDearCharlie, for proofreading on such sort notice. This chapter would be nothing without your help <3

(If you want to see some of the stuff I've been working on while I've been away, check out my sketchbook ;)

I've also included a character sheet of our friend Hawker even though it isn't "finished" as an extra apology.

I hope you enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: THIS SCENE FEATURES A PARTY WITH ALCOHOL. IF YOU ARE OF AGE, DRINK RESPONSIBLY. Just thought I should state the obvious... Also, disclaimer: I attempt to write drunk speech and fail. Final disclaimer: if you remember anything about Hawker, it's the language that he uses, and if it bothers you in this chapter, reread the title of the book. It won't last ;)

- ❈ -

scene i.

Fourteen years later...

It was a beautiful day, with the sun beaming down on vibrant leaves that rustled in the wind. The gardens were so calming that Hawker did not want to leave. Gentle string music accompanied the natural scene, reminding him of his duty.

     He forced deep breaths and stared ahead just like he was raised to. With a straight face, he appraised the edge of the terrace. Grandfather's skyhouse was built atop the tallest mountain in the Spires (still shorter than the Queen's, of course, though her Waterfall Palace was at the heart of the territory). Rising above the others, with nothing but the sky visible at the edge of the terrace, Hawker could imagine he was the only dragon in the world.

     He tried to create a mental painting of the scene. Memorize the way the sun made the green leaves glow, the colour of the shadows as they fell onto the warm stone terrace.

     The dark knowledge that he might not see it again threatened to make him panic, and he once again tried to breathe to calm down. Having trained wingboxing his entire life, he knew how to focus on a single target, and he needed to use that raining to quickly steel his nerves.

     Although he had trained to be a soldier for nearly a decade, it was much easier to dream and plan than to actually face the call. He and his friends would be flying to Bloodworm Hive tomorrow to partake in the most insane mission any dragon had ever conceptualized. Invading the DungWing Fortress? No DartWing in their right mind would ever fly close to that death pit.

     Worse, was the fact that Grandfather had not only funded his fee for the training program... he had given extra so Hawker's name could be extended... to that of Minor General Hawker.

     Why? Any time he asked, Gomphus said he would tell him when he was ready. Hawker felt insulted to be treated like a dragonet when he was sixteen, but Gomphus explained that he was waiting on one last confirmation before he could fully disclose all of the details. The thought did not calm Hawker.