Chapter 2- Too Many Surprises

Sonali's P.O.V. Continued

Kavya didn't show up to work today. Ajay allowed that because she needs sometime to cool down. I'm still trying to figure out what happened on my Sunday. There's got to be some sort of pattern. "Sir everything is done." "Good. I need you to stay late we are having a meeting withy father and some of his clients, including Mr. Patel." Yes! Dad is coming. Ajay doesn't really know that I'm the daughter of the CEO for iGuyanese (my actual family business not open for business yet). I walk to the conference room with Ajay. Silent but nice. Soon the room get full of clients including dad."Hello baba," I say as I give him a hug. "Hi beti." Ajay's mouth drops and his eyes widen. What cat got your tongue, Ajay? I sit next to father and he sits next his father. He gives me this cold stare and I glare at him.

This conference lasted for 4-5 hours. There were arguments and dad almost fell asleep twice. When it ended it was almost nine at night. Dad and Mr. Singhania may have to go to Dubai for the project and if they're not able its up to Ajay and me. I walked through the dark hallway by myself. I felt a hand cover my mouth as I was pushed against the wall. It all felt too familiar. This same familiarness reminds me of Sunday. Something like this happened on Sunday night. "Why didn't you tell me he's your father?" I knew it was Ajay. I took his hand of my mouth,"I thought you knew." I try to push him off but he grasps my wrists tighter,"Ouch, Ajay you're hurting me." He lets go and I push him off of me. I walk away and hear him call my name. I ignore it and continue walking. He catches up with me outside,"Look I'm sorry. I didn't know and instantly thought that-" "Shh. It not a problem." "So, friends?" He sticks his hand out. I hesitate to shake his hand but finally shake his hand,"Ok, friends." Dad pulls up by the curb and I wave goodbye to Ajay as I get in. I didn't like that I was friends with my boss. We practically hate each other while Kavya is charmed by him.

I tried calling Kavya a few times but she doesn't answer. When I visited her she pushes me away. I get to work right after I visit Kavya. I sit in my office chair and prop my jaw on my hand. There's nothing for me to do and I don't feel like going in Ajay's office right now. Should I? Nah. My phone rings and I quickly pick it up when I see it's Kavya's call,"Hello Kavya ji! Kavy what's wrong why are you crying? Wait I'm coming ok?" I have no choice but to walk into Ajay's office but he wasn't there. I then walk into the conference room. Empty. I left the office and see that Ajay is waiting at his car,"Who are you waiting for?" "Tum. You want to go out for lunch?" "Sure, but first lets go to Kavya's place. She called me with worry in her voice."

Kavya's front door is open. Wide open. I stepped on some broken objects and felt a sharp pain on my foot. Damn it. I hid my pain with every step. "This isn't good. Ajay, you check down here while I check upstairs." I open Kavya's room door and see that she is in the corner crying,"My life is over." Her clothing she has on are ripped and ruined, almost as if she's been messed with. To be graphic, raped. "Kavy, you're ok. I've got you," I sit beside her and she breaks down in my arms," They. Took. Ma. And. Didi. Then. Bhaiya. And. Dad. Ran. After. Them-" "And they haven't returned since?" Ajay asked. She began to have deep, shallow breaths,"Kavya, are you ok?" She shakes her head no and mouths the word 'poison'. "Oh my god. Ajay, hospital, now!"

"There's nothing to worry about Ms. Patel. She is out of danger," the doctor said. "Let me just get some reports." When the doctor left, I sat down on the waiting chair and leaned my head back on the wall. "How did this happen?" Ajay asked. "Wasn't she forced to? Little sister died, mother and big sister were probably dragged out of the house while the brother and father try to save them. During all of this the goons try to rape her or worst." Ajay sits across from me and props his head in his hand,"Then it all makes perfect sense. Either the goons thought she was your sister and family or tried to get information about you. Don't you get it? It fits perfectly with your missing Sunday." "Yea uhu," I say in annoyance and sarcastically. He gets up and puts his hand on my shoulder making me get chills and some sort of weird feeling. No, no, no, no, I'm not into him. I can't be. Impossible. "Chal na. Let's go. If she asks for us we're always free to come. Ugh now I have to get a ride with him? I'm definitely sitting in the back seat. "Why aren't you sitting up here?" "Uhh... I need some time alone. Some time to um... Think." "Ok, whatever." The whole car ride was quite. Before I got out of the care when I reached home, Ajay asked,"Do you want to...." He hesitated and put his hands on the back of his neck,"Do you want to go to the 'Bombay Velvet' club with me? I know it sounds like a date but as a friend to friend kind of thing." I hesitate not wanting to even go anywhere with him but the realized it may be fun and he was offering really nicely that I didn't want to seem rude,"Sure, I don't see why not."

I picked out a short black dress with three quarter laced sleeves. I curled my hair and gave it a puff at the top. Na, too elegant looking. I took off the dress being careful not to spoil my hair then put on some skinny jeans with a long sleeve laced shirt. At least I'm still wearing something laced. I wait downstairs for awhile a then run towards the door when I hear the Ajay ring the bell. When I open the door I see him wearing jeans with a red American Eagle t-shirt and a black leather jacket. He has his hair spiked up. Control Sona, you aren't falling for him because he is probably also not interested in you. I smile,"Shall we go?" "Yea, ready when you are."

Ajay hands me a shot glass,"Here, it'll take your mind off of things." I push it away,"Na, I don't drink." "I don't either but my brother says it takes some pressure from you. It's not that bad." I take the glass from his hand and swirl it around for a bit. I finally gulp it down and it stings my throat as it goes down,"I hate to say this but I actually liked it and I want another one." What am I doing? That too asking my boss for another drink? The next thing you Ajay and I are having a contest on on who can drink beer faster. I finished first but wondering how when I never touched one in my life (except when my father ask me to hand him one). We danced and talk. Surprisingly I didn't care because I was drunk!!!