Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Zayn's POV

Elle... Why was she so interested in speaking with me? I'm not the life of the party; she is. Her friends and herself are the most popular girls there are. I was just there.

She seemed nice, though. Not that it'd matter. I don't stick around long enough to get to know someone. I can't trust anyone long enough. They always break it first. Distance is my way of forgetting... Forgetting life.

I walk the length to the front door of the hell house I've been living in. My feet hesitantly move up the steps. I grab the handle of the door and take a deep breath, preparing myself to get the nightly lecture.

I stay quiet to avoid detection from my uncle. He's not technically my uncle though. But anyway, he never fails to find me. Even in my darkest corners, he finds me.

"And where have you been, boy?" his drunk voice grumbles. I smell his cigarette, making me cringe.

"Out," I answer. I hear no reply from the devil himself. So I make my way upstairs.

"You're disgusting and worthless. You know that?" he asks. I continue walking and ignore him. This is my first mistake of the night. I'm building my own punishment for being innocent. "Don't you walk away from me! Get back here!" he yells.

I stop, considering this. Either way, I'm beat. Literally.

I ignore him once more and shut my bedroom door. I take off my shoes and put them in the corner of my room. I slip my jacket off my body and hear heavy footsteps coming upstairs. I close my eyes and silently pray he won't hurt me tonight. I grab the necklace around my neck and squeeze it.

He swings the door open, hitting it against the wall. I turn around.

"I don't think you know who I am," he says. I stare at him, fear threatening to appear on my expression. I watch him blankly as he walks towards me.

One footstep closer.

Two.

Three.

I smell the smoke and alcohol on his breath. His eyes are bloodshot. Yet they stare at me with such intensity.

"Who am I?" he asks.

I don't answer.

"I'm not a liar, that's for sure. I'm not worthless, stupid, or a mistake like you are. God, you should've died too," he states. "I hate you. I hate you! I hate you!" he starts yelling. His hand comes across my face, catching my cheek. It knocks me off balance, causing me to stagger away. He continues to come at me with his palms forming into fists. He hits my eye. I cry out in pain and fall to the floor. The hit was too forceful to continue standing.

As soon as I expect another swing to make contact on my body, he stops. He breathes heavily, stares at me, and stomps back downstairs, slamming the door behind him.

I get off the floor and look around. This isn't home. This is literally hell.

I turn and see my reflection in the scratched, dirty mirror. My appearance is absolutely horrifying.

I pull my t-shirt over my head. I toss it on the floor and see myself. Scars, scratches, weals, and bruises.

I frown in disgust at myself and pull on another shirt. I lie down on my bed and pull out the picture frame from under my pillow.

I stare at the last family picture we had together. My mother, father, sisters, and I smiling. Those were happier times. Maybe he was right. I should've died too. It'd be better than suffering here.

I kiss the cold glass and look at it once more. "Goodnight. I love you..." I whisper.

I place it back under the pillow and close my eyes. I know well that sleep won't over come the pain.

But I can cope.

The last images of my family come to mind. The last images of smiling and laughing with them. Everything.

Then Elle. Whoever she was... It was strange. She never would've talked to me. But that doesn't bother me. The thing that does is that I can't get her out of my head. She's confusing me.

Whoever she was, whatever she said, wherever she is will never affect me. Who would dare to know someone as horrible and messed up as me?

I just know something for sure. One meeting with me isn't enough for her. One beating isn't enough for my uncle. One night of that peaceful moment around Elle isn't enough for me.