Chapter 9

Chapter 9 

Elle's POV 

"Really, Elle? You're dating... That guy?" Jennifer asks. Of course, them being my team and as closely knit as we all are, my relationship doesn't stay very quiet. They all began to interrogate me about it. It's strangely fun to see their reactions.  

"Yup," I answer. And I do expect negative and positive feedback. It's just the matter of outlooks on Zayn. But I could care less about theirs.  

They continue to chatter about it quietly to someone next to them and sip on their drinks. Of course, we're meeting in the only place we ever go- the same restaurant Zayn and I first went to together.  

"You are one crazy, brave girl," someone says. I can't find who said it though. 

"Why didn't you tell me?!" Charlotte asks. I laugh.  

"I don't know! I didn't feel the need to tell anyone!" I answer.  

"Have you kissed?" 

"Is he nice?" 

"Why are you dating?" 

All of them ask at least one question all at once. I feel overwhelmed and don't answer. My shy side takes over and I feel my cheeks begin to grow hot.  

"Come on! You're making her blush!" Charlotte says. Everyone laughs and teases me even more. Then they suddenly stop and stare behind me. I turn in my seat and see my boyfriend coming my way.  

"Hey," he says to me. He hugs me from behind as everyone continues to stare.  

"You act like you've never seen another human being before!" I say. "Ladies, this is Zayn. Zayn, this is the basketball team!" I introduce them.  

"Hi," Zayn says shyly. Then they all freak out and reply back. He smiles at the exaggerated greetings in return. "So were we going somewhere today?" he asks quietly.  

"Uhm... If you want," I answer.  

"Where to?" 

"Anywhere! As long as I'm with you." He pokes my nose.  

"Of course. Get your things and we can go for a walk or something," he says. I wave goodbye to everyone and walk out the door beside Zayn. He grabs my hand tightly.  

And I don't know what to say. I'm just absolutely speechless. Words can't describe what I want to say to him; they can't take account of everything if I just start telling him. It's impossible to pour my heart out. Sure it hasn't been months, but something is so special about Zayn. Whatever it is, I like it.  

And now, I feel comfortable around the one everyone was pushing aside as a freak and an outcast. And here I am holding hands with him and, well, dating him! Who knew I could end up here?  

Yet something keeps nagging at me. Why did he never socialize or have anyone around to talk to? Choice? Force? Whatever it was, it changed him... A lot. Before, I know neither of us would be where we are now.  

But what am I saying? Life is okay. I wouldn't change it for anything.  

Then I remember before. I've noticed different things about Zayn in the past. It makes me shiver, even in this warm weather, just at the thought.  

• Flashback • 

"You're such a freak! No one likes you!" 

"You're so stupid!" 

"Dork! Stupid! Retard!" 

Kids are mean. Even at a young age they're vicious and ruthless. They will do anything and everything to destroy every positive outlook in your life.