Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Elle's POV

I breathe in the scent of the oversized jacket hanging on my shoulders. I follow closely behind as Zayn and I walk to his house. He's determined to do something, telling me I couldn't know yet. He just had to get something.

Whatever it is, I just want to be with him.

He squeezes my hand, reassuring me that things were okay. I lean into him as we walk. The smell after the morning rain fills the air along with a cold breeze. No doubt the weather will be worse later.

We arrive at his house and he gladly invites me in. He leads me upstairs to his room. I sit on his bed and watch as he looks around.

"What exactly are you looking for?" I ask.

"Just... Something important," he answers, searching under the bed.

"Can I help?"

"It's okay. Just stay there." I sit anxiously and tap my fingers on my leg. I hum several songs and continue watching him search in concentration. After a few minutes, he still hasn't found anything.

"Are you sure you're looking in the right places?" I ask curiously.

"Yes, love."

"Are you sure you're sure?"

"Elle, we aren't doing that again, are we?" he asks with a laugh. I smile. He looks in yet another box and pulls out a paper. He checks it and smiles. "Found it!"

"Good! What is it?"

"I'm not going to tell you, nosy," he says, poking my nose.

"Aw," I say, pretending to be sad. He kisses my forehead.

"Such a drama queen," he mumbles. He puts the paper in his back pocket and pulls a t-shirt from his drawer. He pulls his shirt over his head and tosses it in the floor. I can't help again but to stare. But I also notice the scars he has. "Like what you see?" he asks with a laugh.

"Hm... I don't know. What am I seeing?" I ask.

"Ouch. That hurt," he says, grabbing his chest. He pulls the other shirt on and leans over to my face. I smile as he kisses me.

"Does that help?" I ask.

"Yes, very much actually. Now come on," he says as he grabs the sleeve of his leather jacket on me. I stand up and reach out for his hand. "We better get going before he-"

"He what?" a man says. I look up in the doorway and see the guy who has to be the man Zayn calls his uncle.

Zayn's first reaction is to push me behind him and keep me close. I hold onto the back of his shirt with my fists and watch as the scene unfolds before me.

"I thought you weren't home," Zayn says.

"Yeah? Well some idiot messed up my truck. It's in the shops," the man grumbles.

"Sorry to hear that."

"Well who's your little lady there, Zayn?" he asks.

"A friend."

"Her name..." he insists.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Because anyone who is a friend of yours is someone I'd like to meet. Now who is she?" the man asks.

I let go of Zayn's shirt and hold his arm. He looks down at me.

"What are you doing?" he whispers.