Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Elle's POV

•Two weeks later•

I suppose my jersey number has become quite popular this year. Every tournament, Zayn always has to stay near my mum and I because people try to come at me. He's been like a body guard which is a funny thought. A protector... For me? Ha.

But it's been fun. I've found a better motive for each and every win. Zayn. He's always there for me. And when I'm sore or hurt, he'll help fix that. No matter what he's going through himself, he's there for me too. How can he possibly do it? I'm not even sure myself. But I like that about him.

Now we're just hanging out around my home while my mum gets ready for work. She leaves us and explains the usual. He kind of laughs after the door closes behind her. I wonder what he's thinking about. Probably how perky she sounds all the time.

I begin to lean into him. I feel the warmth of his body on mine. The smell of his cologne makes me smile in realization that he's mine. And I'm his.

"Do you ever wish you could change your life?" I ask quietly. He strokes my hair, thinking about my question.

"Sometimes I wish I could rewind and take it all back. Except for a few things though."

"Like what? What would you keep?"

"You and the times before that wreck. I would definitely like my family back. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about them. I wish I could see them again, you know?" I nod.

"I miss my brother a lot. Though he picked on me, he was still my best friend," I explain. "And you and my mum are all I have left. Sure I have friends, but it's not the same. You two are everything to me..."

Zayn glides his fingers across my cheek. I smile at the tender gesture. Though he seems a bit agitated about something.

"Do you remember when you asked me to keep practicing and playing piano?" I ask. He nods.

"Are you?"

"Yes. That's what I was going to tell you. I learned how to play a new song. Well... Let me show you." I stand up and grab his hand. He follows me to that beautiful black piano I once despised in my life. Now I've fallen back in love with it simply because I've been encouraged to do it again. Maybe it's just saving my life here.

He sits beside me and absentmindedly places one hand on my knee. I search for my sheet music. It's the most perfect song to describe us.

I begin to play and quietly sing the words. He watches as I go through the whole song. He smiles and his eyes glitter with amusement.

"Thank you," he says.

"For what?"

"Simply for being you."

My cheeks being to grow hot. I smile and look down. He places two fingers under my chin to tilt my head back up. He grabs my hands and I stand as he does. He moves over to the middle of the room, taking me with him. I accidentally yawn.

"Tired?" he asks.

"A little."

He allows me to go change into something else before he follows me upstairs to my room. I change into some shorts and an old shirt. It reminds me of the times Tyler would tease me if I wore it. I smile at the memories flooding my mind.

I go into my room as I hear his heavy footsteps walking around. He stops in my doorway and I look up. He looks so angry so suddenly.

"Zayn, what's wrong?" I ask gently. He shakes his head and his dark hair falls over his eyes. He moves it away before I give him a pleading look to explain himself.