Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Elle's POV

I'm glad this madness is over. None of us really deserved so much. Especially Zayn. I mean, it could've and should've been someone else.

But we're over it now. It's great. Life is amazing. He stays with us now and fits in well. We all get along better than we ever have. Well, we have no option to actually dislike each other. I mean, it's just us three.

But life continues to throw unexpected events in our way. Though we constantly work around them. So now's just a time for me to relax with Zayn for awhile as we await my mum to call us inside. We lie in the hammock again, feeling the amazing summer breeze.

"Can you tell me another story?" I ask in a childish voice. He laughs quietly.

"I can."

"Okay." He wraps his arms around me as I lie beside him, watching the clouds.

"Once, there was this perfect girl. She was absolutely stunning. And there was also a really quiet guy who never really got around to people. But one day, she talked to him. And he knew things would change for the better. They went on this big adventure together, trying to find a super villain. They defeated him and lived happily ever after... Maybe," he says. I giggle.

"Maybe?" I question.

"We'll just have to see if we live happily ever after. Right?" I nod. I hear a car out front and grab him along to see who it is. Mum comes out on the porch, approaching a man. Then I recognize him.

"Zayn, I don't want to see him," I mumble to him.

"Why?"

"You'll figure it out..."

We walk around together. Mum stops arguing with him, and they both look at us. More me that Zayn. But either way I feel like crawling in a hole and dying. It's been over seven years. How does he expect me to care anymore?

"Look at your daughter," mum commands him. He does with sad eyes.

"Elle?" he questions.

"Hi, dad..."

"My gosh. Has it really been this long? You've grown up to be a beautiful young lady," he says. And the anger inside stirs even more. He hasn't even been here for so many years. He's missed out on almost half of my life. Why does he care? Why is he even here?

"Uhm... I heard about you in the news," he says, clearing his throat. "I thought I'd give you a visit to check in."

"We're fine," I answer a bit too harsh.

"That's good... Who's your friend there?"

"Zayn," he says, introducing himself. "Nice to meet you."

"You too," dad says. The awkward feeling couldn't get any worse. We all stand in silence as the tension grows and threatens to spill over. I'm ready to go off myself. I can't imagine how mum is feeling.

"I'm not feeling well. I'm going inside now," I announce. "Bye dad." I brush past him with Zayn close behind me. Mum moves out of my way as she sees my expression. I slam the door as I hear, "I love you!" from my dad.

I run upstairs to my room and open the window, listening in on their conversation.

"What do you want, Tom?" mum asks.

"I just wanted to see you girls for once. It's been, what? Seven years?"

"You walked out on us, remember? You left me alone to take care of Elle when she needed you too!"