Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

Elle's POV 

My alarm rings bright and early at 7 AM. I wish I could sleep in, but that's not going to happen.  

I roll out of bed and regret staying out so late last night. I only got about five hours of sleep. But practice is practice, even though it is summer and we're out of school for now.  

I hurriedly get ready and rush downstairs to eat breakfast.  

"Well aren't you being quick this morning?" my mum asks.  

"No time! I'm running late!" I tell her. She smiles and continues cleaning dishes.  

"I'm working third shift tonight so I won't be home. Will you be okay?" 

"I'll be fine, mum. Goodbye. I love you," I say quickly as I kiss her cheek.  

"Do good in basketball today!" she calls. I spot Charlotte's car parked across the street. We've always been on the same team together, being known as the inseparable pair.  

I run with my bag hitting my hip. She greets me and drives down to the practice court. We talk for a while before things get quiet, which is a rare thing to happen for us.  

For some odd reason, our coach actually agreed to our pleads to practice on the court by the lake. Hopefully she won't notice the leftovers from last night's party.  

The sun shines brightly and warms my skin. I smile at the pure relaxation it gives me. And once we arrive, I switch my shoes and leave the others in my bag. I run by Charlotte to everyone else.  

The air feels so good on my bare skin. Thank goodness for summer.  

I notice that everyone else has shorts and a tank top on. I'm always the one to stick out and wear a t-shirt. I'm just modest, I guess. And the girls always pick at me for it.  

We set up a makeshift bench and begin warming up. After one unofficial game, we switch teams. I notice a figure off in the distance by the water. I barely recognize who it is. I squint my eyes to see a bit better.  

"Elle! Look out!" Lott calls. The ball hits me in the nose. Tears fill my eyes and blur my vision. I blink a few times to focus.  

"Pay attention ladies! We can't win the tournaments if you don't keep your head in the game!" Coach says.  

The person sitting so far away turns their head. I could recognize that face anywhere now. Zayn.  

After practice, I put my tennis shoes back on and tell Lott I'll walk home. After everyone leaves, I nervously make my way to that mysterious boy. He seriously hasn't responded to anything. For some reason, I want to tell him off for even being there. Most guys get their kicks by watching the girls in ultimate short shorts play their sport. That's the first reason I assume he's there.  

"Sorry for making you get distracted and hit in the face," he says, still staring out at the water. I laugh a little.  

"Oh yeah. It's okay. It was my fault," I reply, easing up a little. "So... What are you doing here? I thought you told me don't count on seeing you again," I tell him. He shrugs and stands up.  

"Thinking," he replies, turning to face me. I notice how his face is different now. I know he didn't have a black eye or multiple scratches on his cheeks last night.  

"What happened?" I ask gently in case I wasn't supposed to know.  

"I don't know. I kind of had an accident," he says.