Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Zayn's POV

No matter how much I try to talk myself out of going with Elle today, I make myself even more guilty each time. She'll definitely need support today. She always tells me how rough these tournaments are. Plus, I don't trust the people her and her mum will be around. I should go in case there's an emergency.

I sit up and text her good morning, the usual. My shoulder hurts along with my sides and stomach. Now that I look at it, what doesn't hurt?

I quickly shower and change, hoping Uncle Jack is passed out somewhere and that his friends left. I don't really think he cares where I go. Just as long as I come back. He probably assumes I'm going out anyway. He halfway understands.

I grab my phone and some other things I thought I could use. I leave a note on the counter as I pass him sleeping in the floor. As soon as I'm out the door, I begin to walk to Elle's house.

As soon as I get there, she's running out the door to greet me. She's buzzing with excitement.

"I'm so glad you're coming! This is going to be an awesome day! And it's going to be-"

"You're so hyper," I say, cutting her off. She looks slightly confused then smiles.

"I know!" she answers. I kiss her cheek.

"I don't blame you."

"Good! Now c'mon. We're still getting ready," she says as she grabs my hand and leads me inside.

"Just one question. Why do you have to wake up at seven in the morning on a weekend just to go play sports?" I ask. She shrugs.

"I don't know. It gets quite annoying if you ask me," she replies.

"But I did ask you..." She laughs. "So quick for being so awake," I tell her. She nods and smiles.

"Oh thank goodness you're here! I was starting to get nervous," her mum says. I put on a polite smile and offer to carry things for her.

Eventually we've loaded the car to the limit. I sit in the back and Elle climbs in beside me. Her mother starts the two hour long trip.

Elle lays her head on my shoulder and smiles. I can imagine she's tired. And I try not to show any evidence of the constant aching in my shoulder. But feeling her near makes me stronger and forget what damage was inflicted on me. I put my hand on her knee and watch out the window.

Her small hand rests on mine. She looks back up at me and makes a face. I raise my eyebrow at her and she silently laughs.

Today is definitely going to be worth it.

•••

We walk in the school hosting the tournament. This place is absolutely mad. Several teams walk by going to their specified gym and stare down Elle and her teammates. She stares right back and they walk quicker, making me think she's got some sort of effect on them even for such a small girl.

Her mum leaves to find a seat for us. I stay behind with Elle. She seems nervous enough.

"Hey, you've got this, okay?" I tell her.

"Did you see those girls?! I'm not so sure I do have this!" she says, lowering her voice. I laugh.

"You'll do fine." Her friend walks over and sighs loudly.

"Long time, no see, Zayn," she says.

"Hey Charlotte," I answer.

"Here for support?" I nod. She turns to Elle. "I think you've forgotten to text your best friend the past couple of days." Then she laughs.