Chapter 13

Gilbert Residence - Jenna's POV

"So, a little birdie told me that you are going to the Founder's party with Stefan Salvatore, I thought you weren't dating him?" I ask leaning against the door frame to her room.

"It's nothing Aunt Jenna I swear I only asked to be nice and because I would have had no date," Elena tells me, turning back to her mirror. "It's not like I can ask Matt anymore and it's not like there are a lot of options in this town, what do you want me to do ask Tyler Lockwood?"

"Now that's not a bad idea" I tell her.

"Jenna! You can't be serious, besides I heard that he's taking Vicki," she says, a scandalized look on her face.

"What I may have not dated him, but his uncle, Mason Lockwood is fine," I admit to her. "If he every comes back to this town, don't tell him said a thing I will never live it down."

"I promise, scouts honour," she surrenders, hands up in defeat.

-

-

Salvatore Boarding House - Stefan POV

"It's cool not growing old. I like being the eternal stud," Damon says smirking at me.

"Yes, being a 150-year-old teenager has been the height of my happiness," I comment, my voice dripping in sarcasm.

"You cracked a funny, Stefan. I should have a drink to celebrate. 1864. You and Katherine were the perfect couple. It was hell watching you dance with her," he laments glaring.

"My happiness was short-lived, as you well know," I remind him.

"I remember. I left the party early; I was waiting for her. The night you dropped her off, I was waiting just inside. You were such a gentleman, gave her a kiss on the cheek. And what she really wanted was...Oh, well. Here's to history repeating itself, huh?" he dumps his drink on the floor, smelling the vervain. "I admire your effort, Stefan. Pouring yourself a drink then spiking the bottle with vervain. I'm not some drunk sorority chick. You can't roofie me. But I can't help but feel a little used. I thought we were having a moment. I have to go to the party angry. Who knows what I'll do?"

As he left the threat lingered as he walked out the door.

-

-

Lockwood Residence – Jenna's POV

From the corner of my eye, I see Stefan walk up to Elena is standing by the display of her parent's wedding rings.

"Jenna," I am shaken from my musing to see Logan Fell to my right.

"Hello Logan," I greet him, while grabbing a glass of wine from a passing butler.

"It's good to see you," he says, looking me up and down.

"I thought I might see you here," I tell him with a barely covered sneer.

"You knew it," he comments smugly.

"I dreaded, actually," I smirked.

"But were secretly hoping," he continued.

"And now that I have..." I go to walk off.

"Whoa, hey, not so fast. I know you," he stops me. "You have a lot more insults in you, I can tell."

"Your hairline's receding," I shoot out a weak one.

"No, it's not. You want to have lunch?" he deflects the insult.

"Nope, not a chance," I sigh deeply.

"You haven't changed a bit," he says, smirking slightly.

"Oh, yes, I have. I'm meaner now," I walk away, only to be stopped once more.

"Jenna, right?"

I turn with a roll of my eyes to see Damon Salvatore.

"I don't know if you remember, I was at yours for dinner the other night. Damon Salvatore," He introduces himself.

"I do remember, and I'm not interested, don't you have minors to have around?" I comments, continuing my walk away and out of the party.

-

-

Elena's POV

"The founding families in Mystic Falls welcomes you to the inaugural founder's council celebration," I read out to Stefan. "Wow, look, it's the original guest registry. Look at all these familiar names—Sheriff William Forbes, Mayor Benjamin Lockwood. Is that Damon Salvatore? And Stefan Salvatore?"

"The original Salvatore brothers. Our ancestors. Tragic story, actually," Damon says walking up to us from behind with Caroline.

"We don't need to bore them with stories of the past," Stefan says, trying to subtly warn his brother

"It's not boring, Stefan. I'd love to hear more about your family," I tell him with a tone of disappointment.

"Well, I'm bored. I want to dance. And Damon won't dance with me," Caroline comments, a little put off.

"Mm-hmm," Damon makes a barely audible noise of agreement.

"Could I just borrow your date?" she asks me.

"Oh, uh..." I stammer out, not entirely sure what to say.

"I don't really dance," Stefan tells her, trying to let her down softly.

"Oh, sure he does. You should see him. Waltz, the jitterbug, the moonwalk. He does it all," Damon interrupts.

"You wouldn't mind, would you, Elena?" she asks once more.

"It's up to Stefan," I answer, since wasn't actually up to me.

"Well sorry, but I'm not going to take no for an answer," leaving no room for argument she drags him out to the makeshift dancefloor.

-

"I want to apologize to you for being such a world-class jerk the other night when I tried to kiss you," Damon semi-apologises, surprising me. "There's no excuse. My therapist says I'm...Acting out, trying to punish Stefan."

"You know what, I honestly do not want to get into whatever issue you have with Stefan. Because one I'm not his girlfriend and you both seem like good people from what I've seen, two I'm still going through things myself and I don't have time to pick and choose sides," I tell him earnestly. "Either way it wouldn't really be fair to anyone, and I hardly know either of you, plus I believe you two will make it through whatever this is because you are brothers, family, and family sticks together. If Jenna has taught me anything in these last few months. It's that even if you least expect it your family is always and will always be there through everything even if you don't want them there. Look, I'm sorry that you and Stefan have this thing between you, but I can't get in the middle of it, Damon. I just...I hope you two can work it out."

"I hope so, too,"