10. - remedy

march 24th, 1979emcino, california - hayvenhurst compound

march 24th, 1979
emcino, california - hayvenhurst
compound

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"Can you stop sittin' by this phone like a madman," Tito nudged my arm before sitting on the sofa. "It's givin' me anxiety just lookin' at you."

"Well Rainy said she'd call-"

"Brotha, she said that two days ago if what you told me was correct," he sighed before grabbing ahold of the landline. "Now 'scuse me, I gotta make a call."

It's been two days and I haven't heard a word from Rainy. I might have been slightly overreacting but it wasn't like her to go without speaking to me while I was in town. I thought that giving her a call would bring my spirits up but she said she'd call me. I didn't want to apply pressure where it wasn't needed; or wanted.

But I also knew the misunderstanding that happened two night ago needed to be resolved while I'm here.

"Hey Mike, aren't you supposed to be recording with Quincy?" Janet asked as she came downstairs.

"I told him I wasn't feelin' well today."

"For someone that isn't feelin' well, you sure do look okay. Is this about what happened the other night?"

"You know, for a twelve year-old, you sure are observant," I smirked before stepped toward me with both hands behind her back. Tito had just finished using the phone and I looked over at it, praying that it would ring.

"Twelve and three quarters," she corrected me with a tilt of her head. "But why don't you just call her?"

"She said she'd call me," I exhaled. Janet reached over me and grabbed the landline before looking at me and smiling.

"What's her number?"

"I-I'm not letting you call her for me Dunk," I shooed her away from the phone. "I can handle this by myself."

"But she probably thinks you're still datin' Tatum-"

"And that doesn't concern you," I sadly frowned while looking at her. "Look, I'll just wait until she calls. She's probably busy with college and other things that are far more important than me."

"I'm just tryin' to help," Janet said quietly before grabbing the phone yet again. "So give me the number. I promise I'll leave it all alone if she doesn't pick up."

"But-"

"Give. Me. The. Number."

After giving Janet the phone number, my heart began to race. I could faintly hear the phone ringing and after a moment, it stopped.