14. - ease your mind

may 3rd, 1979 st

may 3rd, 1979
st. petersberg, florida

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The road had become more grueling to be on and in the height of me attempting to speak to the one person that would keep me grounded, I'd lose my elevation. Each night I'd finish a show, my body would only have enough energy to cleanse myself of the grim I had collected within the day and rest my head on the nearest pillow. Rehearsals had become just as grueling due to Joseph's unreasonable schedule.

Days felt shorter as my exhaustion increased and as time went by, I wondered just how much damage my enervation had caused.

"Michael!"

I would assume— a bunch.

"Yes Joseph," I stated rather than questioned, my tone coming off gruff.

"You look a hot mess, fix your face before you step on that stage tonight."

"I'll fix my face," I stated satirically. "I need to use a phone—"

"Nuh uh," Joseph shook his head while extending his arm to cease any sudden movement I'd make. "I done told you time and time again that you need to focus on your work and not some random girl—"

"She's my girlfriend," I corrected. "And I haven't talked to her, I've been too exhausted to even make a phone call and now I feel awful. Not that you care or anything but I'd really like to speak to her."

"Mike—"

"C'mon Joseph, it—it'll fix my face," I emphasized sarcastically, a small grin forming at the corner of my lip.

"Five minutes and not a second longer," he grumbled as he removed his arm from in front of me. "Phone's in the common area."

I wasted no time in running toward the common area, where I had seen a few coordinators of ours having a discussion. As they saw me sprint in their direction, they made sure to move as far away as possible so that I could get by.

Of course, Joseph threatened our own crew to avoid having unnecessary conversation with us.

"C'mon," I mumbled to myself I dialed Rainy's phone number. "Please pick up."

After a few rings, I had accepted fate. I knew that it wasn't likely she'd be home but if there was even the slimmest chance that she could be, I wanted to take it.

"Hello?"

My heart skipped a beat the moment her voice emitted from the receiver. Too stunned to speak, I stood wide eyed. I didn't know just what to say considering that I hadn't spoken to her in almost a week and quite frankly, I didn't think this far ahead. Rainy gave out another 'hello?' before I cleared my throat, trying to regain composure.