17. - hit dogs holler

may 26th, 1979los angeles, california

may 26th, 1979
los angeles, california

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The Moore household had become a place of muzzled thoughts and heavy air quality. Between the intolerable silence that would ring throughout the apartment home and the insufferable sounds of silverware clinging and grinding against the worn out china my mother refused to replace, it was all becoming too much for me to stomach.

As we all took interest in the hot plate of soul food that rested in front of us, my head slowly raised and my eyes cautiously gazed upon my family. Everyone's heads were practically bowed as they began the routine of scraping their silverware along the china and acquiring food onto it. I watched as everyone consumed my mother's traditional Sunday dinner with hopes of someone saying something. However, that time never came around.

"Hey," Aiyana whispered out to me as we prepared ourselves for bedtime. "We can't keep livin' like this."

"Like what?" I ignorantly questioned, fully understanding the meaning behind her statement.

"Well for starters," she cleared her throat while raising her register. "I feel like I have to whisper in this place so no one can hear me. It's drivin' me insane."

"You don't have to whisper Yana," I reassured her.

"Okay well let's talk about you blamin' yourself for what's goin' on with Lucas. It's not your fault—"

"Maybe not but that whole blow up could've easily been avoided had I stepped up and said somethin' the night I found him holdin' a gun to someone's head," I voiced quietly. "Bad enough, he comes home whenever he wants even more now. The only reason my parents aren't kickin' him out is because they don't believe in that. Y'know, my grandma Theresa used to do that to my momma and she vowed to never do that to us."

"Yeah," Yana mumbled as she applied moisture to her makeup free skin. "I know."

"So, if this is what cohesiveness looks like in our family now then so be it. If I tell my parents now—"

"You won't though, right?" she interrupted. "I mean, it's just too soon."

"Yana, weren't you the one tellin' me I should?" I questioned with a raised brow, wondering why her thoughts on the matter changed. "Remember you tellin' me it was for the safety of us all?"

"A-And I still believe that," she stammered. "But I also believe that if you say somethin' now, you'll lose trust with your parents. Also, Lucas would probably get the ass whoppin' of a lifetime—"