Flight Lesson

"No. No. No. You're doing it all wrong," Raffe said; dropping his head into the palms of his hands, again. "You have to do it like this," he stood up off the rock he was sitting on and demonstrated his perfect flapping skills in front of Penryn.

"That's exactly what I was doing!"

"No you weren't."

"Yes, I was."

Exasperated Raffe threw up his hands and storms three steps away and three steps back, "Says who?"

"Pookey Bear."

Raffe has the look of total desperation, like he wants to be anywhere but here. Even with all the annoyance coursing through him an internal smile lit Raffe's eyes for the briefest of moments and that was enough to melt Penryn's heart and to give horrible teacher another chance.

"Okay, I'm sorry for being "horrible" at flying but it's not fault I wasn't hatched out of an egg." Penryn stood with her hands out in front of her with palms up, looking directly at Raffe.

She must have looked so much like a heartbroken angel about to avenge her loss that Raffe came up and stood in front of her. Their bodies were three inches apart and the space made Penryn want to slowly close the gap and rip away from the caress of Raffe's breath stirring the hairs that rest by the base of her neck at the same time. Raffe slowly took his arms and reached over to hold the joints of Penryn's sliver wings.

"Shi- oww!" Raffe swore. When Penryn spun to see what was wrong she saw that Raffe had cut himself on her wings. The cuts across him palm were already scabs and then light pink scars in two blinks. "Think of clam and happy thoughts, that and flying makes your wings soft but the moment you're angry, nerves, or have adrenaline pumping through you. The feathers turn into metal," Raffe explained.

"Sorry," but Penryn was already closing her eyes and thinking of the days when Mom, Dad, Paige, and her went on a trip to the Red Wood forests. Dad and Mom were still on good terms then, they were holding hands as Penryn pushed little Paige in a baby buggie.

She barely felt it when Raffe was gently holding her wings and lightly flapping them so that the air moved among her feathers. He had closed the space between them. His hands slid down her wings and Penryn's breath hitched when he rested his hands at the small of her back and held them there. She had raised her chin, expecting Raffe to kiss her but instead he pushed away and walked into the forest.

"You're doing fine. Pookey Bear had been teaching you well," Raffe's rough voice echoed among the trees.

Penryn opened her eyes and wrapped her arms around herself now looking around the empty field. With one gust of her wings Penryn propelled herself upward, turned around, and stood on nothing in the blood red sky of the setting sun.

(This scene can happen when ever you think it seems fit.)