6 - Screwed.

Today I was determined not to be let down. Even by Sophie. I strolled into class with a small smile on my face, even though the first class of the day would be maths. It felt like having an important secret, or knowing something that no-one in the school knew. Which was true, technically. Nobody else was on the DreamSMP.

This feeling continued until first break, where I decided to check noticeboard for any updates. My dumbass must've thought just because I was having a good day internet wise, I would be having a fantastic day irl too, because I was almost shocked upon seeing the face of the person I disliked most featuring on a flashy poster displaying the upcoming school act: The Tempest. (My favourite William Shakespeare play, don't ask. At least it ain't goddamn Romeo and Juliet.)

Of course the beautiful, talented, Sophie Hamilton was playing the love interest and daughter of the main character. What else could she be?

My good mood deflated. It wasn't exactly much of a problem that Sophie had the second lead role, it was more the fact that I'd have to see her waaayyy more often and for much longer than I usually would that pissed me off. I also couldn't help but notice the terrible job whoever designed the poster did. It looked messy, and you could easily see the green screen outlines on each of the people featuring in it. And they used the basic comic sans font. Had they gotten a sixth grader to design it?

Sighing, I turned my head to skim through a listing of roles beside the dreaded poster, looking for my name.

And I found it.

Right under 'Backdrops'.

The absolute worst job to have.

Back in ninth grade, I had managed to talk my way in to helping out the stage crew with the last play they had. They gave me a bucket and a paintbrush that was so big, it should have been classed as a mop, and told me to basically colour in a sketched drawing on a giant canvas.

Didn't seem so bad at first, but they only have two giant mops-brushes and many, many colours. Add my miserable height and clumsy mistakes, and you've got: the worst job to have.

To top it off, there was a shortage of stage crew members this year, meaning there were only two people assigned with the background role. Me, and godamm Alexander Moore.

Alex was the dealer at the school, if you knew what I meant. For the right price, he could get his hands on any reasonable kind of drug or alcohol for you. At least, that's what I've heard. I had never actually talked to him before.

What could I say, the dude was intimidating.

No-one knew exactly why Alex joined the stage crew, considering he barely showed up for meetings and hardly contributed half the time, but there must've been a reason why he hadn't been kicked out yet. Again, Alex was a complete mystery for most people.

I slumped my shoulders as the bell rung to signal the next period.

《▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎》

"So you gotta come, okay?" sighed an obviously irritated Sophie, although she was clearly trying to hide it. I held the thick envelope in my hands. Y/n's it read, in tiny, swirly handwriting.

It was the end of the school day, and Sophie had held me back, handing me a letter to her birthday party which, was not happening until after another 2 months.

But that wasn't the issue.

The date that she had set was dangerously close to the end of year/final exams, and failing that because of a party could put my entire future in jeopardy. Okay, my entire future was a stretch, but the results of the exams certainly mattered for the university I wanted to go to.

So I had told Sophie exactly that, and she argued that I should 'live' more and 'be more social'. Normally, she would have given up by now, not caring whether I actually showed up or not, but she pushed on, which was pretty suspicious. Plus, why hadn't she just texted the invite details to me instead?

I grumbled, as I tucked the envelope into my backpack and nodded, making Sophie smile devilishly. What was she planning?

"Okay, cool. See you then, Y/n!" Sophie said, and sashayed away. I swore she acted like a 13-year-old most times. Why people found her cool was beyond me.

《▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎》

(A/n Not all too sure how the british education system works, so please correct me if I get anything mixed up. I'm an Australian so I got no clue how things work up there. Also, im gonna give these guys a lot less exams/important tests for plot purposes.)