Chapter 11: Tales of Koro Nui

He wasn't sure how long, but Silver began hearing a pestering voice after he lost consciousness.

Jupiter: [Hey! Wake up!]

Silver: Huh? 

He awoke and found himself stuck in some kind of small hut. He was laying on a simple bed made from soft feeling plants and woven sheets. The place he was in was rather small and enclosed, so it felt a bit tight to be inside. He could probably fit another two or three people in here. 

Jupiter: [Finally. Thought you would never wake up.]

Silver: [Oh yeah. What the hell happened?]

Jupiter: [Well, our ship kinda crashed and sank. Never saw anyone else but you come out. After that, we washed up on an island that's who-knows-where. You were pretty much about to pass out when the locals found us. They dragged you to their village and patched you up. Now, we're here.]

Silver: [Just great.]

Jupiter: [Look on the bright side, the people here seem nice.]

Before the boy could respond, another masked person opened the tent and saw the boy awake. They yelled something neither understood before the person ran out. Less than a minute later, another person walked in and Jupiter recognized them as that elderly person they saw before Silver passed out. Red eyes peered from the holes of his mask as he spoke.

Elder: Good, you're awake. We feared you were suffering a worse fate, but it appears you merely suffered from exhaustion. 

Silver: What? You speak Koine?

He and his friend were surprised to find speakers of that language here of all places. They were expecting something more native like what they heard earlier. 

Elder: Haha. Well, you aren't wrong to be surprised. Can you stand?

Silver: Y-Yeah, I think so.

Elder: Follow me. I will show you around. 

Silver: Sure, and thanks for saving me and all, but who are you? 

Rua: My, where are my manners? You may call me, Rua and I am the elder of this great village.

Silver: Silver, and village?

Rua: Come.

He led the boy outside and he saw a vast expanse of settlement. The housing was simple and made from the same materials as the hut he was just in. Everything around the place screamed "primitive" to him, but he could get used to it eventually. In the distance, he also saw a giant tree deeper in the island. However, he would not get a chance to ask about it. Another villager came when he saw the two come out and greeted the elder.

Villager A: Turaga Rua! *Bows*

Rua: *Raises his hand to him* At ease.

The villager bowed again and left the two.

Silver: Turaga?

Rua: It's their native tongue. That is just their word for elder.

Silver: Do they speak Koine too?

Rua: Heh. After I became Turaga, I made sure everyone in the village could speak it. Of course, I learned their language as well. 

Silver: And the masks?

The boy was curious about the masks on their faces. It seemed strange to hide your face if you were with your people.

Rua: Oh, that's just a custom of theirs. Everyone in the village is given a Kanohi Mask to wear.