Nostalgia is a beautiful lie dressed up in sepia

"Let me explain okay?" I somehow persuaded Cole to listen to me once since I bailed on him yesterday. It didn't take me a lot of time to do that since he was eager to talk to me as well.

"Go on, you have five minutes." He responds, reminding me what I always told my dad when he asked to talk to me.

"Yeah. So, I couldn't show up yesterday, sorry for that. But I had a solid reason for that. I had to drive back to New Jersey. You see after you called me, my dad called me, which I did not pick up and I feel sorry for that cause if I did, I would have probably saved him." Yes, I kinda blamed myself for his death.

"Saved him? What happened Chloe?" He leaned forward, worried about me which was visible on his face. I take a deep breath before I broke the news to him.

"My...my father...dad died yesterday. Heart attack. I got a call from the police when I woke up to get ready for coming to meet you and I had to go back." I look out of the window of the cafe to watch people walking on the pathway.

"I am so sorry, Chloe." He whispered and got up to clench his arms around my body which felt tiny against him. I lean into his body and feel myself getting filled up with the warmth he provided me with.

"I am so sorry Chloe you had to go through this alone." He said gripping me tighter. He kept his grip firm, not letting me go.

"It's okay. I am sorry again." I say as he finally pulls away and pulls his chair close so he could sit next to me.

"No no no, no need to be sorry. I can only imagine what you're going through right now." His way of consoling was different. He did not make me feel tiny in guilt as others would have.

"I need to go back today again, and organize a funeral before I get back to work tomorrow." I say finishing my coffee which we ordered along with sandwiches that we had already devoured since we were both starving.

"That's fine. Can I come with you, if that's not a problem?" He was stern when he asked to come with me to attend my father's funeral.

"Sure!" I said with a tired smile due to my lack of sleep the previous night. I wait for him to finish his coffee and when he does, we both leave for my car.

"Come with me in my car. We can take yours later when we come home." I didn't think twice before agreeing with him. I liked the sound of him calling my apartment "home". I got into his car in the passenger seat and put my seat belt on.

"Dang, I would have loved to do it for you." He said smacking his lips together when he saw me putting the seat belt on myself. I could see how he tried to cheer me up with the small things he was doing.

"You can do it later sometime." I say as I feel tired and at once I try to find a comfortable position in his car seat.

"You can sleep now. I know you were up all night. I can see it in your eyes." He whispers, leaning closer to me and kissing my forehead. I was left mesmerized by how he knew I was up the previous night and just because of this, he asked to come with me and even took his car.

"By the way, when did you buy a car?" I ask him remembering that I had to drive him around since he did not have a car.

"The night we stopped talking. The reason I wanted to come and pick you up was to show you this car." He said with a sad smile, remembering what he did that night.

"Oh. I am sorry. The truth is, I wasn't actually out that night. I just did not want you to come to my office since my colleague and my best friend Amber know you are wanted by the police right now and I did not want to say it to your face so I made up a lame excuse. I am so sorry I turned you down and lied to you."