Chapter 55

When Cordelia's eyelids fluttered open the next morning, she was still on the couch, her hand mindlessly rubbing up and down Elliott's spine as she regained consciousness. It was still ridiculously early, the birds hadn't even begun to chirp, but that didn't stop her from staring down at her sleeping child and placing a kiss on the top of her head, breathing in Elliott's lavender and vanilla shampoo that had quickly become her favorite scent on the entire earth.

In a way, Cordelia was grateful Elliott was still willing to let her hold her close like this, like she was still small, because Cordelia had missed out on that time in her life. She knew it made her sound terrible, and if she had to do it over again, knowing what she did now, she would have absolutely done it differently, but there was something so special about the time she did have. It was a double-edged sword, wanting to fix everything that had ever gone wrong, but knowing if she did that things wouldn't be the same, that Elliott wouldn't be the same.

Cordelia heard the kitchen door close, footsteps padding closer and closer, and she smiled when the swamp witch came into view, putting a finger to her lips as Misty broke out in a grin at the sight of the women on the couch. Misty nodded, knowing if she even dared to whisper that the girl was going to wake up. Cordelia glanced back down, her heart swelling. She looked so peaceful that Cordelia didn't even care that her neck was at a weird angle and would likely be stiff for weeks on end.

But alas, right as Misty began her trek back up the stairs, the floorboards creaked and her daughter's eyelids began to flutter, drawing her out of whatever dreamworld she had resided in and catapulting her to the present. Cordelia did the only thing she could think of, dragging the tips of her nails up and down Elliott's spine, and watched as miraculously her daughter settled back down. She didn't miss the way Elliott's hand tangled in her dress and pulled, thumb jutting out and brushing against her lip. It was strange to think that even sixteen years later, Cordelia knew things about Elliott before Elliott even knew her. She knew she used to suck her thumb, after an ultrasound appointment where the woman got a good glimpse of her right thumb firmly planted in her mouth. It was the first time Cordelia was able to really come to terms with the idea that she was growing a life inside her, a tangible thing with its own thoughts and personality, a real person. And now, here she was, sixteen years old and still holding onto the same vices, although Cordelia had to wonder who eventually tried to break her of the habit.

It wasn't a secret that Elliott came from her, but it felt like the two had danced around the topic, both too scared to bring it up. Cordelia had divulged that she had mementos of Elliott's early childhood, random pictures and things her parents would send her, but Elliott had never asked about them, and while Cordelia was always willing to give the information, she didn't want to force it on her.

She wondered if maybe Elliott was scared to know, like somehow asking would open a floodgate they didn't want to even begin to broach. Maybe she was trying to protect Cordelia yet again, not wanting to force her to face her past mistakes. It wasn't a reach, Elliott had a prime opportunity the previous night to bring up Cordelia leaving a few months prior, but she didn't, she pushed Cordelia in circles until she found something else to focus on, and Cordelia had to wonder if maybe Elliott was more calculated then she led on. Sure, she was a mess, but all teenagers were a mess, yet most wouldn't pass up the opportunity to remind their parents of their shortcomings, god knows Cordelia never did. But Elliott seemed more carefully crafted, more gentle and less calloused, which confused the woman to no end. Cordelia knew how to deal with teenagers, with their brutal honesty and biting words, but even almost nine months later, she still was rendered clueless when it came to her own child.

Then, the supreme unconsciously shifted, trying to get a bit more comfortable as she drowned in her own thoughts, only to be drawn out of them as Elliott finally woke up, her mouth stretched open in a yawn, "Well good morning snuggle bug."